twenty one

21|surprises

Selene sat at her vanity, brushing her long brown hair as the moon light touched her skin. To Regulus she looked ghastly beautiful, a ghost like image.

Regulus nervously fixed his black knit jumper she had made him for his birthday. He had planned a surprise for her, wanting everything to be special for her.

She pinned her hair half up with two moonstone needles her mother had gifted her. She fixed her cardigan and dusted down her simple cream slip dress.

"You look beautiful." He commented as he leaned against the doorway, watching her as she nervously fixed her hair again.

"Are you sure?" Selene questioned, standing up and rushing over to her wardrobe. "I have a beautiful pink dress."

"You are perfect." Regulus paused after each word, stepping forwards and grabbing her shoulders. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before moving her out the bedroom. "Come on, I have an amazing date night planned."

"I love you." She beamed up at him, casting a warming spell over herself as he grabbed a picnic basket filled with food and drink.

"I know." He chuckled, throwing his arm around her waist and leading her carefully through the forest.

They stopped by the pond, a blanket set out with candles floating around the clearing and across the pond.

"Reg, this is beautiful." Selene gasped as she looked around the area. The moon rested perfectly in the clear sky, helping light up their late night picnic.

"You haven't even seen the food I attempted to make." He placed the basket down and helped her sit on the soft blanket before sitting beside her.

"I did see a chocolate cake earlier." She grinned, opening the wooden basket and pulling out the teapot that had magic used to keep the liquid from spilling.

The pair sat quietly, Selene leaning against his side as they both sipped their fruity tea and devoured large slices of the chocolate cake.

"I bought you a new book." Regulus pulled a book from the basket, handing her the classic Oscar Wilde story.

"You know a way to a girl's heart." She took the book from his hand, frowning at his mark clearly on display.

It stayed as a constant reminder of her parents death and Regulus's almost death. Voldemort and his followers had destroyed her life and his mark lay as a reminder that he once believed their death to be good.

"I'm sorry." He apologised, taking his arm back and rolling down his jumper sleeve awkwardly.

"You've been scratching at it?" Selene sighed, taking out her wand and tapping it against his sleeve. She used a simple spell to relieve the itch, glaring down at it.

"It's okay." Regulus smiled at her slightly before they both went silent, enjoying the peaceful night air.

"I remember when we use to bicker all the time." She laughed, leaning her head on his shoulder. "Life seemed so simple back then."

"Now I'm dead and you work at Hogwarts." He agreed, continuing her trail of thought. "Sorry, I shouldn't word it as that."

"No, no. It's true." She slowly stood up, standing by the pond, watching the moon dance across the water.

Regulus patted his pocket, feeling the box that had not fallen out. He took a deep breath, his eyes wandering to the dark haired beauty beside the pond. He worried about the sudden down mood the conversation had brought but knew now was the best time.

"Selene?" He held the silver band tightly, standing up and walking up to her. She glanced over her shoulder, smiling at him widely.

"Is something wrong?" Her smile dropped when she saw his furrowed brows. He seemed nervous and scared.

"I know I've told you I love you but those words don't tell you how much I truly love you." Regulus rambled, nervously fidgeting with his fingers. "I'm sorry, I just don't know how to properly tell you."

"Yes." Selene cut him off with a large grin, cupping his cheeks and kissing his lips gently. "I will marry you." She whispered against his lips.

"How did you?"

"You're terrible at hiding it." She teased, stepping back to let him continue his speech. "Now, continue telling me how much you love me."

Regulus held the silver band between his fingers, letting her admire it's simple design. She chuckled to herself when she saw it held two cresent moons, knowing he knew her well.

"Reg, will you be my partner until the end of time?" Selene mumbled between her tears of joys after he became speechless.

"You stole my question." He placed the ring on her finger before cupping her face and capturing her lips.