21-Ryūnosuke Tanaka

~Story 21~
~Title: Pomegranates~
~Character: Ryūnosuke Tanaka~
~Trope/AU: Comforting Turns To More~
~Warnings: Mentions of Abuse, The good ol' ex bf, Swearing~
~Word Count: 1236~

***

You watched from behind the brick wall, your hand cupping your mouth. Tears rolled down your cheeks as you watched Daichi and Ennoshita hold Tanaka back while Sugawara and Nishinoya held your ex back. You had dated him for a little while before you broke up with him about three months ago. A, because you were being abused, and B, because you were developing a crush on Tanaka. But you didn't dare tell either of the boys that.

Luckily for you though, your ex figured reason B out and he came to get his revenge on you. You only ended up with a few bruises and a little blood. It would have been far worse if Tanaka hadn't been late to Volleyball practice and saw everything go down. He quickly came and took care of your ex. He threw a long punch to the guy's nose.

"Y/n run! I've got this!" he hissed. You were frozen in place though. You didn't want Tanaka to get involved, but here you were. The two began fighting and the volleyball team seemed to hear and came out to help. Yamaguchi and Kinoshita quickly escorted you away and made sure you were ok, but you just wanted to help Tanaka to be ok.

Now, you were behind the brick wall, watching from a distance with Yamaguchi and Kinoshita with you, making sure you didn't go running. They asked you simple questions like 'are you ok?' and 'what happened?', but you only gave quick bunt responses. You didn't really want anyone to know that you use to have to go through that. It's bad enough Tanaka knew. You saw them both trying to escape the team's grasp to go for another punch and once you couldn't take it anymore to watch, you quickly turned to Kinoshita. He held you, stroking your hair and you gripped on his shirt and sobbed.

"Hey, hey, it's ok y/n. They'll be ok,"

"I don't care about him! I want to help Tanaka!" you sobbed out louder than you really meant to.

"Hey, I think they've calmed down. Daichi's escorting your ex away now," Yamaguchi whispered softly. Before you could respond, you heard someone running to you guys. You turned to see Noya. He looked at you with worry on his face. You read exactly what he was going to say.

Tanaka's hurt.

Bad.

~~~

You sat on your bed crying. Tanaka had told you he was fine but you knew he wasn't. Sugawara had to rush him to the medical office. When he didn't end up rocking up to your last class like he usually would, you figured out he ended up going home. You couldn't help but feel like it was your fault, which, you knew it wasn't...

There was a knock at the front door. You were home alone so you got up to check it out. You knew it wouldn't be your family, as they all would just come in. You opened it to see a smirking Tanaka.

"R-Ryu?" you stuttered, not sure if you were hallucinating or not.

"The one and only y/n!" he said proudly. You took a good look at him. He had a large bruise under his eye, along with a fairly large bandage on his arm. His smile dropped when he saw you looking at his arm. "Don't you go feelin' bad for me y/n. I'm fine. The guy's a dickwad anyway, and I can't let him go touching my best friend like that," you sighed, nodding and let him in. He went to go take a seat on the couch while you went to get him a can on Pepsi.

"Thank you Ryu-chan, you're really a great guy," you muttered, handing him the drink and sitting next to him.

"No worries. I'm not even that hurt anyway. The dumbass missed my eye!" Tanaka laughed, pointed at the bruise under his eye. He expected you to laugh, but instead, you grabbed him and hugged him, nuzzling your face in his chest. You didn't see, but Tanaka's cheeks began to glow bright red. "What even made him come at you anyway?" he asked after a few minutes of silence. You let go of him so you could look at him. "I mean, if you want to tell me. You don't have to-"

"No, it's fine. I just... he figured out something and got pissed. I'm sorry, it's my fault. He wouldn't have come after either of us if I had just been less obvious!"

"Y/n, y/n, no. Don't you dare blame yourself for any of this,"

"I do! He wouldn't have touched you if I didn't have a crush on you!" you spat out before you could even stop yourself. He looked at you with shock. "It's my fault," you said again. This time it was his turn to grab you and hug you.

"Don't apologise. Please. It's ok," he whispered. You began to cry again and he only held you tighter. He stroked your hair and felling his heartbeat calmed you down. "It's ok. You never did anything wrong ok? Never. The only one in the wrong here is that... god I don't even have a word strong enough for him. That... pomegranate," you laughed into his chest.

"Pomegranate?" you laughed out.

"Y/n! Shut your face! I don't know... vegetables are gross," his comment only made you laugh even more. "What?!"

"Pomegranates are fruits," you mumbled, trying to contain your laughter. It impressed you how silly he was and how much it amused you.

"Shit, seriously? Aren't they like those red vegetables with yellow inside? The yoghurt Suga eats?"

"Passionfruit?"

"Yeah! Passionfru- oh. It's a fruit isn't it?" you laughed and snuggled into his chest more. You were feeling much better now that he had comforted you. You pulled yourself out of the hug to kiss his forehead.

"Thank you for making me feel better," you said. He nodded and that was when you realised he was blushing. You giggled which only made his blush worse.

"It's probably not the best time to be simpin' over you huh?" Tanaka thought. Wait, no. He meant to think it, but he said it. "Shit- Y/n, I-I-I... I don't... fuck," he muttered, letting go of you and moving away. You laughed.

"You're adorable Ryu,"

"Look who's talking," he huffed, cheeks practically glowing now. You came closer to him and grabbed his hand.

"Really, Ryu. I really do care about you. A lot,"

"I... well, I like you too. A lot," he replied, hugging you and nuzzling his head into your neck to hide his glowing cheeks. You laughed, patting his back.

"Ryu, Ryu. Look at me for a sec," you whispered. He shyly did so and you kissed his cheek. You expected him to go red, which he did, but he also smirked.

"That's all you got?" you blinked repeatedly, debating if you had heard him right. Oh, so suddenly he's confident again? You weren't sure if you were ready for cocky confident Tanaka now that you both had somewhat confessed. He grabbed your cheek and kissed your lips softly and quickly. He looked at you to make sure you were ok, and when he saw you smiling with red on your cheeks, he smiled back. You threw yourself on top of him to kiss him again, but for much longer this time. And many more times than just once.

***

Author Notes

It's hard coming up with ideas for this prompt while still being relatively PG so I went angst... Sorry. I've somehow made iconic chaos duo, Tanaka and Noys, get the angsty prompts...

Sorry about it being about the ex boyfriend. I had one and I guess I just liked envisioning the Haikyuu boys giving him a piece of their mind. Tanaka seems like the kind of guy anyway.

I had to do a lot of research on pomegranates for this btw, lmao. I also don't know how to title things so... sorry. Tanaka would be the cutest softie, I had to do that, and it was fun to write

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed, and see you all soon xx