Nightmare Man

A/N: HELLO DEAR READERS! Y'all comments have brought me back to life thank you mwah (ps I was so inspired I wrote this in 20 minutes)

Anways, quick little note: I am not following Marvel's storyline for my own story purposes. I might add some stuff in, however it will not be following it exactly. Ok Enjoy and everyone please comment hi so I feel loved. #validationwhore

Nat grabbed her arm and pulled her out without any hesitation. Although most of the time she messed around with Avery and was a sister figure to her, Avery could tell Natasha was not kidding around. Natasha looked her over and dragged her behind the wall so that her coworkers couldn't seem them.

"Explain. Now." She demanded and Avery had no hesitation explaining her actions. Nat was too scary when she was upset and her little eyebrow quirk sent Avery shivering down her spine. She looked at her feet.

"I want to go, Nat," she began and the assassin began to open her mouth but Avery cut her off, "I'm tired of being the weakest one in the tower anymore! Dad doesn't even trust me, neither does Peter. I am not some object to protect I am a person. I'm getting on that frickity frackity ship!" She hissed out to try and intimidate Nat. Nat wanted to laugh at the makeshift cussing but she assumed she got it from Peter given the fact the boy did use the weirdest replacement words. However her thoughts became much more serious when Avery silenced herself.

"No," Nat's strong voice was quick to answer. She couldn't put Avery in this dangerous situation, "I know it's been difficult for you but you lack the proper trainin--"

"I've been training for months!" Avery retaliated while taking a step forward. Her voice began to raise.

"It was for protection, not for an actual mission, Aves, you know that!" She hissed back in a hushed yell. Not even Nat wanted to be caught with Starks runaway daughter at the moment. Avery felt her emotions running wild. The one person she thought she could trust was on the other side of the battle. Her eyes began to rush with tears.

"Natasha, please," she whispered in a broken voice. Nat looked at the poor girl's eyes and saw the most determination and bravery in her. She could tell Avery meant it when she wanted to live up to the legacy of her father. Nat knew Tony was going to send her to hell when he found out, but Nat knew what she was going through. She once felt it herself when first starting at SHIELD. She mouthed the words stay here  to Avery which the girl followed and waited patiently. Natasha went up to Stark.

"Forgot some gear, Tony. I'll be right back, can't fight without my knives can I?" She gave him her signature smirk to which he fell victim to her lies.

"Be back soon, Nat. We were supposed to already leave, and I wanna get back to my daughter. I can't bear to think of what happened earlier." Natasha felt a pang of guilt hearing what Tony was saying, she was about to betray him in the highest order. 

"You'll see her soon," she attempted to comfort with half a lie. Before Tony could respond she left the group and headed back over to the stairwell down to the tower. She tried to hurry down to her quarters and swung the door open.

"JARVIS, shut off my cameras in my room. Leave me be for a few minutes." She hoped he would listen, he couldn't know what she was hiding. All her uniforms were too big for Avery, so she had to give her the most dangerous one, one from her childhood. 

"Certainly, Miss Romanoff. I'll give you five minutes." It spoke back, she sighed in relief before starting the direction of her closet. She pushed all her clothes to one side and moved the cut out part of the wall to reveal a safe box with a lock. Natasha put in the combination and opened the lock before taking a breath. When she revealed the contents of the safe box memories came flashing back. The remnants of her time as a Black Widow stared right back into her. An old uniform, her Russian gun, plenty of knives, and a photo of her old family. She shuddered, not wanting to relive the memories, before grabbing the uniform and going back up to find Avery.

"Come with me," she spoke, almost in a demand while Avery shuffled off the concrete and began to trail behind her. Nat led her to the side of the building where no one else was around. 

"Change," she said bluntly handing Avery the extra suit. Avery paused.

"I'm sorry? You want me to what?" Nat didn't repeat herself and whirled around, "Nat you do realize we are on the top of a building in one of the busiest cities in the world? Like should I just shout to the city 'Hey New York! My cheeks are out!'" No response. Eventually, she groaned and stood in front of the girl so she was blocked a little. "I hate you," Avery mumbled and the assassin just smirked. Avery tried to change as quickly as she could and put the all black uniform on. She tapped Natasha's shoulder when she finished. When Nat turned around she almost wanted to cringe herself, her eyes barely widened but something brought a pang to her heart. It was extremely hard to see Tony Stark's daughter in Widow clothing but it was the only thing that would have fit the girl. She nodded brushing away those thoughts and took Avery's hand.

Nat pointed to a box around the corner, "I need you to go straight into that box. Do not make a sound," 

Avery rolled her eyes, "The things I do for you," she mumbled sarcastically. But before she could leave Nat grabbed her arm. 

"I don't think you understand what is at risk. There is a high chance one of us may not come back." Nat began, "The person we're going after is no one who cares about you. His mind has been tortured by Hydra for decades now. If you go, you stay by me or your dad because this man won't hesitate to kill you." She informed Avery who tilted her head and put on a determined face. She was terrified out of her skin but she couldn't show it. It's not what she came here to do. She needed to show that she was ready for the challenges an Avenger faces and how she was not a piece of glass.

"What's his name?" She questioned in a low voice. Natasha took in a breath,

"James Buchanan Barnes. Also know as the Winter Soldier,"

Avery couldn't deny the chilling feeling that struck her spine as the nightmare of a man's name was revealed to her.