Negotiations

Blood. 

So much blood dripping from his face.

His singed skin offering a terrible smell.

Everyone kneeled for him, while Avery grabbed a hold of his lifeless body.

She screamed until her lungs gave out.

Avery woke up shrieking for her father, wanting to know he was safe. No one came to her attention. She looked at the clock, seeing it read 11:30 pm. She got 15 minutes of sleep before another nightmare. Her life was falling apart. 

The young Stark pushed her covers back, enjoying the cool air on her sweating body. Her hands came up to her face pushing the hair out of it, then continued to fall on to the covers next to her. She tried to close her eyes again and force herself to sleep, but it was not an option. Groaning in frustration, she got up, put on her bunny slippers, and walked out of her room. Avery sludged down to the kitchen, her feet dragging. She hoped getting some coffee in would relieve the drowsiness she was feeling. Her body eventually found the counter.

"JARV? JANE?"

"Yes, miss Stark?" Her AI responded.

"Put a coffee on, then set to arrange yourself in the lab. I'll be down there in a bit,"

"Might I recommend trying to sleep again, ma'am. It seems in the past week you have had a sleep intake of a total of five hours," Avery's hands hit the counter, and she let out a frustrated cry.

"I'm fine! Just give me the coffee, JANE,"

"Right away, miss," She heard the whirring of the coffee machine behind her. The smell of coffee filled the kitchen. Her head tilted upwards as if to inhale as much as she could. 

"Coffee complete, miss Stark," JANE informed. Avery nodded and turned to the machine. There it was. The holy grail of life. Coffee.

"Thanks, JANE. Grab an elevator, will you?" No response but she knew her requests were being carried out. She grabbed a random mug and poured the drink into it. Her sleepy eyes were careless, however and made her pour some of the blazing hot coffee on to her fingers.

"Bloody hell!" She half-whispered and half-yelled. She sucked on the finger for a bit, when shook it and went back to pouring the coffee as if nothing had happened. Taking the mug and once again walking down the hall hearing the scuffing of her slippers, Avery arrived in front of the elevator, and stepped in. The elevator shook a bit when it started but eventually smoothed out during the long ride to the top level. Bored she looked at the clock in the elevator.

1:00 AM

"Cute," She mumbled.

The elevator stopped at the top and Avery stepped outside of it. The walk to the lab was short and she punched in the code. Opening the door, she stopped immediately. All her lights were on, there were blueprints everywhere, and the window was wide open. She placed the coffee down and went to look around. No one was there. Or Avery thought that until there was talking in the other section of her lab, the testing section. Slowly creeping over the talking became louder, yet it sounded muffled. Quick to decisions and was not prepared for a fight she grabbed a prototype suit arm and ran into the room with it drawn. 

"AAAAHHH!" A high pitched squeal came out of the perpetrator's mouth, also known as Tony Stark's mouth. Avery let out a sigh and bent over to breathe.

"Jesus, dad! You freaked me out!" Tony took a moment to catch his breath. 

"You are the one who decided to almost blast me!" He joked, Avery took off the arm and laid it on the table. She noticed he had some kind of suit on the table.

"Watcha working on, pops?" She asked walking over to him. She looked at the blueprints which clearly stated Spiderman: 17A. 

"Pete is in deep need for an upgrade, but I haven't told him yet so don't say anything!"

"I won't,"

"Not one word,"

"Yep,"

"None of the words suit, new, or dad, will come out of your mouth to him!"

"Dad I get it!" Avery shut him up, he looked at her with a sus look but let it go, "Want me to help?" She offered.

"Sure, honey," He answered, and they worked away. Putting in new tech, testing everything, listening to JARVIS absolutely roast Tony was Avery's favourite time. Eventually, both of their coffee's ran out, and the suit was finished, so an awkward silence came up. Tony brought up his watch.

"Oh shoot, Avi, it's 3:27 am," He chuckled, Avery groaned and put her head in her hands.

"Mom is going to kill us,"

"Or she will never know..." Tony said slyly, Avery scoffed in response.

"She knows every thing, dad. Of course she will find out," She finished, Tony agreed, then his face got serious.

"Avery, how come you couldn't sleep?"

"Didn't feel like it," Avery said shrugging.

"We both know that's not true, can you tell me the truth?"

She took a breath in, "I've had nightmares. Don't even think of asking about them," She added when Tony opened his mouth, "They come when I am resting or doing nothing, I usually come down here. Have been every night, actually," By the end, she was tearing up, in which Tony came up to her to give her a hug. Avery placed her head into his chest and enjoyed the warmth, and safe feeling.

When they came apart she wiped her eyes and looked at her dad, "What about you?"

"New York, Malibu, Sokovia. They come back, and everything is too much. Tinkering allows me to push it all out, a lot like your deal," Avery shook her head jokingly.

"Guess we are both messed up," 

"You're a Stark, of course!" They laughed, then Tony got an idea.

"I think I might be able to help you with your dilemma..."

Avery saw his smirking face, making her smile as well, "What?"

"How about your very first mission?"