Father Figure

Pepper almost jumped out of her chair when her daughter can barreling back into her office. Avery had a determined look. She was always respectful to not ask, for when she did, her mom tried to change the subject. But this could not be ignored.

"I'm whose daughter? You're joking right? You have to be messing with my head." She desperately wanted to know. Pepper looked defeated, that's all the answer she needed.

"Mom, why didn't you tell me? Tell Tony? I lived my whole life not knowing my father, who turns out is the most famous person in the world. Why did you keep this from me? Why did you never tell me you worked here?!"

"Because he's not a father figure, Avery! He goes around drinking, blowing things up with his suits, punching 15 year old girls--"

"I was in my suit!" She defended, "And you're wrong, Tony is like a father to Peter."

Pepper softened her look, could Tony really be a father?

She always wanted Avery to grow up with a father, but it just never happened. She didn't want her to get all wrapped in this mess of Iron Man. 

"I wanted you to have a normal life, sweetie." Pepper said in a soft voice.

Avery calmed down, "Mom, my best friend is Spiderman, I made an Iron Man suit, my mom is the CEO of Stark Industries, and my dad is Tony Stark. How could that be normal?" She chuckled. Pepper knew she was right.

"Okay, keep coming here. I'll have him come over once in a while too." The her voice got stern, "But you cannot let him see the suit. You cannot tell him, or anything. Got it?"

Avery nodded, "Yes, ma'am."

--------

"Honey, I'm home!" Avery told JANE.

"Welcome back, Ms. Potts." Avery smiled.

"Call me, Ms. Stark."

"Very well, Ms. Stark."

"I like that, JANE. By the way, I have a date for you!"

Her phone started ringing on her desk.

"Hey Spiderboy!"

"You are just like Stark, Avery. Like a mini-Stark." Avery awkwardly laughed.

"Flattered!" She replied dramatically, "What's up, Parker?"

He cleared his throat, "Uh, I wanted to know if you wanted to go for lunch tomorrow." Stupid, stupid, that was so la--

"Of course! I love going out with you. Tomorrow at one?" His whole face brightened,.

"Awesome!!" They both hung up with goofy grins on their faces.

Peter got to work on his outfit, and she got to work on her suit.

-------

"I like you, Avery, like a cat likes a ball. No, no that was stupid."

"Avery, I know we have some great chemistry, so I wanted to say I like you. No no no, that just sounded like a chemistry pun!"

May came up behind him, and laughed a little at his attempts.

"Peter, just be honest. She likes you too, I can see it. She stuck by you when you were Spiderman. I promise you will do fine." Peter nodded.

"May, I'm going to go to the tower for a bit to clear my head."

"Okay hon, but remember to be here before 12:30!"

"Yep, I know!"

Peter walked down to the subway and down to the tower. He pulled out one of his bigger inventions to get his mind off of everything. 

"Hey kid, what's up?" Mr. Stark asked him, Peter kept working.

"Girl troubles, huh? Oh my god it's Avery isn't it? Spiderboy got a crush!" He teased poking Peter. Peter smiled and told him everything.

"I just know that I want to tell her, but I don't know if she really likes me." Tony put his band on his shoulder.

"Peter it is obvious she likes you. Plus I know that Pepper won't be a problem. She may be a little reluctant to let her date, but what parent wouldn't. But if she was my daughter, I would for sure let you two date." Peter raised his eyebrow.

"You? With a kid? Funny." Stark feigned hurt.

"I am so offended, you don't even know..." They shared a laugh, then Stark got serious.

"Peter, I need to talk to you about Iron Women." Peter froze. "She said she knew you. Can you think of who it might be?" 

Peter stuttered to get a word out, "Uh--it might be--uh-hehe--um...I don't know?" Tony eyed him up and down.

"You know exactly who it is, don't you?" He asked in an interrogating tone.

Peter checked the time. 12:15! Where did the time go, perfect save!

"Sorry Mr. Stark! Gotta go and pick her up!"

"Pete, no!" but he was gone, "Seems like I'm always yelling after him now..."

---------

Avery was ready for her date with Peter, at least she thought of it as a date. Wait, what if he doesn't! What if he think that we are just hanging out? No no, not the time Avery...

She figured he wouldn't have said, wear something nice if he didn't think it was a date. Well, time to wait and see. Peter on the other hand, was for sure thinking she didn't want it to be a date. I haven't noticed her express any interest in me, so how does my boss know? He decided that everything would unravel tonight. When he made it home, Aunt May had the surprise ready. She helped Peter get into something handsome.

"Peter, your first date! How do you think it will go?" He looked at her and thought for a moment.

"Honest?" May nodded, "Complete disaster...but maybe if she feels the same way, then it might now be half bad." Added while smiling. Peter grabbed the gift and took the subway over to Avery's house. 

When Avery heard the knock at the front door, she sprinted down to get it. When in fact, her mom beat her.

"Awwe, hi Peter! Come in, come in! I love your idea, she will really love it." Pepper tried to ease the boy's nerves, "She hasn't stopped talking abou--" Peter's eyes widened, and his lips began to lift.

"About my suit! Right, mom!" His face fell, Avery noticed and internally scolded herself, "Okay Petey, let's go!" Pepper waved goodbye as the two wanna-be lovebirds walked out of sight.

"Kids..."