17. Second chance

"Nnanna!" I cried out when I saw what he had done.

My father pushed him off in anger. "How dare you perform the sacrifice in your sister's place?"

I looked down, and Onyinye's lifeless body was what I saw, her lifeless eyes stared back at me. Those eyes that had hope in them a moment ago. I fell to my knees, I have failed myself. How can I let something so horrible happen to my friend?

The sound of my father reprimanding Nnanna filled the room, yes, Nnanna snatched the knife from my hand and killed Onyinye instead. But I do not know why he did it, was it because he wanted to help me complete the ritual, or to take the title of successor for himself? Either way, he is without conscience. I despise him.

My father grabbed me and forced me up. "You see what your stupidity has caused?! Now, he has made the sacrifice, I warned you, Amara, I warned you!!"

"We shall redo the sacrifice!" Anyanwu said from beside me.

I turned to her. "But you said whoever killed the her would be the heir"

"Rules can be adjusted, now, look at what you have caused! Hours of hard work ruined!" She yelled frustratedly and walked off.

Nnanna followed her. "Wait, But I killed the girl! It is my right! Why should Amara be made the leader when I am here? I deserve it more than she does, and she is weak and foolish! I am fiercest of all, you told me that!"

She stopped in her tracks and turned to him. "The gods do not want you! So, no matter how hard you try, you can never and will never be our successor! Get that into your thick skull" She walked away from him.

He looked at me in a grimly way. Those eyes scared the life out of me. Then, just like that, he walked away. Leaving the underground, probably returning to the village.

One of the men returned me to the room where my mother was. I was happy to see that she looked much better than the last time I saw her a few hours ago. I hugged her frame, even though she couldn't move properly, she could speak softly.

"Ami" She forced herself to say. I had not heard her call me this name in forever.

I kissed her forehead. "Mama, don't worry, I will get us out of here, I promise". I whispered to her.

"My son, where is my son" She said.

I pulled away. "Your son? You don't have a son, you only have me, your daughter, Amara." Her condition must be worse than I thought, she think she has a son.

She grew restless. "D-Dinta Dinta, where is he? Tell me my son is alive".