2. Taken

The next day, there were wailings and lamenting coming from the various homes of the victims.
I rushed to Onyinye's house, where I learned that she had been taken. Two other people were taken that night.

My father organized a group of able-bodied young men who were brave enough to fight and protect our people from an unknown terror. Amongst them was Onyinye's brother as well as the first victim's nephew. A total of ten strong young men set off into the forest, towards the monster's den. We feared for their lives. Many people offered sacrifices to their deities for their sons to return in one piece.

___

It was a hot afternoon, and I was feeling very thirsty. Since my stepmothers and sisters do not let me drink from their water, I usually go to the stream to fetch mine. On my way to the stream, I took the shortcut which was a bushy path used by a few, for I was too thirsty to take the long road.

As I walked along the path, I heard a sound that made me stop in my tracks. I listened to detect the source. It sounded like a crying girl, I followed it to find a little girl in the bush facing the other way.
She was dressed like one of us, so I was sure she was no stranger.

"Who are you?" I asked.

She froze, probably startled. When she turned her face to me, I recognized her as Onyinye's little niece, Meche. "Why are you here, little one? And why are you crying?" I asked in a gentle voice so as not to scare her.

She sniffed quietly while cleaning her eyes. And she stood up from the ground where she was sitting, looked up at me, and asked; "If I tell you what I saw, will you believe me?"

"Yes, I will". I held onto her hands, to make her feel relaxed. We sat down on the ground and she began to speak.

"That night, when my aunt Onyi was taken, I was there". I was so shocked to hear this.

"Are you sure?". I asked her.

" Yes, I swear it". She replied.

"What did you see?"

"I saw... You won't believe me, No one does". She lowered her head.

" Try me, I promise to believe you". I assured her.

She looked up at my face and started to speak again. "That night, I did not see a creature with three heads and burning eyes, I saw a man".
She revealed in a shaky voice.

"I believe you ". I said. Her eyes grew wide in surprise. "I do, but that does not mean you should be here all by yourself. Let us go back to the village".

I led her back. My thirst was long forgotten.
I told my father about what Meche said, but he laughed it off saying it is impossible.
___

Days grew into weeks, weeks grew into months... But those men did not return. Their families gathered in front of our house where my father, the village chief assured them that their sons will come home safely. I know he is unsure as well. But I guess the hardest part of being a leader is admitting that you are not all-knowing. In the past months, more people have gone missing.

After so much pressure by the villagers, my father succumbed to their wish and consulted Anyanwu, the witchfinder, and goddess of the sun deity.

Little did I know, that this would be the beginning of my troubles.

.