14. Mama

She led me to the cage on the left side of the room. Out of fear for her, the prisoners stayed silent. Anyanwu lifted her hand and pointed at someone at the back, lying on the floor. As soon as she pointed at the woman, Nigel opened the cage door and went in there, grabbed the woman harshly and dragged her back out with him. He made her kneel before Anyanwu and reveal her face.

"Mama!" I cried when I recognized the face of the woman. But someone held me back from touching her. She fell to the ground when Nigel let her go. "Don't hurt her!" I screamed at him. He scoffed.

In anger, I turned to see what was holding me back, and it was Nnanna. When did he get here?

"Nnanna, bikonu let me go to my mother!" I cried out but he turned deaf ears on my cries. "Please!" I begged. I could see my father, Mr Atkinson and his associates standing in the distance and observing our exchange. "Papa, What did you do to her?!" How can a man so heartless be my father? I can't be, it just can be. Tears flooded my face as I watched Nigel and the other man hit her with their guns.

My father lifted his hand and they stopped. "Amara nwa m, the only way I will set your mother free is if you agree to my terms and conditions. You must become my successor".

I bowed my head, the floor under me had turned wet with the tears I cried. I looked back up at him. "I agree, I will become your successor, please just let her go".

"Very well, Nnanna". As soon as he said this, Nnanna left my arms and I ran to my mother. She had become so frail and weak, so hopeless. Her hair was barely attached to her scalp, she had turned grey before her time. My tears did not stop, it worsened in fact.

I wrapped my arms around her body, she could barely speak, but her arms wrapped around me too— weakly.
I got up, bringing her with me to the room I stayed in. My father followed us quietly, observing us. I helped my mama to lay down on the bed, then I turned to him. "Why? Why did you do this us?"

He maintained a stoic expression. "She opposed my will, this is what happens to people who do such. They will give her food and water so that she can regain her strength, you, on the other hand, have a lot to learn. Come with me". He walked out the door.

I took one more at my mother, and went out the door with him. Two of Anyanwu's servant girls entered immediately after I left, with food, water and clothes in their hands.

I sat in a chair facing my father. At this time, the only people in the room were Nnanna and one of the white men whose name I do not know.

My father began, "Listen attentively as I tell you about our family business"