20. Dinta

Before I had the chance to respond, the door was unlocked and pushed open. Mr. Atkinson entered, on his face was a suspicious smile. His eyes were fixated on me which made me really uncomfortable. I looked away from his freckled face and focused on the women on the mattress.

"Princess Amara" He tested my name's pronunciation, though he did not get it right. I was in no mood to correct anyone, especially since that someone did not have any of our goods at heart.

I was disgusted by the heat emanating from his body as he stood really close to me. "What do you want?" I asked without staring his way.

He brought the index finger up under my chin, and he lifted my face so that I would look at him. He accessed my face like a blacksmith observing a sword. "You will make me some fine shillings, my masters will pay heavily for such a nice piece"

"Please, Mr. Atkinson, let her be". Anyanwu got up and came to stand in front of him.

"You don't tell me what I should do, witch." He spat. "All you need do is perform your final rituals in a few hours, after that, I'll have no use for you, old hag". As soon as he said these words, he pushed her down and threw me over his shoulder.

I could hear Anyanwu screaming as he carried me out of the room. I kicked, punched, shoved from over his shoulder, but nothing. He returned to the room with the cages and took me off his shoulder. "We're taking this one with us right away"

"Should we inform Nnanna?" Asked Nigel.

"Certainly not. Who needs that idiot's approval" Mr. Atkinson dismissed.

There were about fifteen other prisoners taken out of the cage, about fourteen were young men, only i and two others were girls. We were made to stand in a straight line, I and the other two girls were put in the middle of the line.
We were all chained hand and feet— bounding our hands to our feet with those heavy chains.

When they were certain that we could not escape, they led us out.
The cold air hit my skin in the most unruly manner, the unending darkness of the forest taking precedence as we followed our captors against our will. They had over their heads— long black and white cloaks that covered their faces. The one in front of the line, Ivan, held a lamp in his hand with which he led the way, they rest of us follow suit.

That was when I suddenly remembered that night I saw moving figures... this was it! It was during the times they transported slaves. How subtle a way to be inhumane.

I was lost in my thoughts when a war cry echoed from somewhere in the darkness. My captors paused and took out their guns. "Come out, you cowards!" Yelled Ivan.
He was the first to fall to the ground when weapon began flying from the behind the trees. I and the other prisoners went down on the ground to save ourselves. By the time the commotion had ended, our captors were all on the ground. The lamp that was held by Ivan— was now burning from the ground, a few inches away from his lifeless hand.

With the lamp on the ground as our sole source of illumination, we watched as shadows emerged from behind the trees. As they approached, their frames became clearer. They called out our names... I recognized their voices!! They are men from my village!!

I felt a pair of hands begin to unlock the chains behind me. I turned my head to see him— Dinta.