22. Confession

"Dinta! Don't listen to him-" Mama shouted, her words provoked Mr. Atkinson.

"I said shut up, you dirty old woman!!" The sound of him hitting her was too loud to ignore.

"Augh!!" An enraged Dinta lifted his dagger in the air and flung it in Mr. Atkinson's direction. And in a split second, the sharp blade of the dagger sliced right into Mr. Atkinson's forehead. He fell dead to the floor.

"Kill the savages!" Screamed the other men. In response, the young men of my village, Dinta, and I stood to our feet and fought back. This was a fight for freedom- for ourselves- our people who had been abducted, oppressed, beaten and sold like livestock. As if we don't matter— as if we are nothing, with no identity. This fight was a statement that needed to be made. We cannot stay quiet anymore and watch you steal our loved ones and make their lives a living hell— no more. We may not have all the amazing things you have, but we have one another.

  Sadly, we lost Obinnaya, but we succeeded in finishing off our oppressors. The cages' doors were opened and those who had kept as prisoners walked out joyful and happy.

Dinta held onto mama with tears in his eyes. I looked around, but could not find Anyanwu. I cannot believe that heartless witch is my mother, but, she is my mother.

I finally found her in a corner of the sitting room; her clothes were soaked...blood?! "Anyanwu!" I ran to her and lifted her face. She looked pale and her eyes were wet with tears. "What happened to you?!" I asked in the calmest voice that my racing heart could allow me use.

"He-He wanted me to per-ffform a ritual t-to make him inv-vincible". Blood poured out of her mouth as she explained.

"Stop, don't say anything else." I hushed her. Then twisted my upper body towards the door way. "Dinta!!! Dinta, please come help me!!!" I screamed at the top of my voice.

"Am-Amara, let me s-speak" Anyanwu forced out amidst her bloody mouth. "He thought the r-ritual was successful, that is why he-he stabbed m-me"

"Thankfully, it was not successful in any way, he is as dead as dead can be" I responded, hoping that my faked smugness would hide the pain I was feeling in the gutter of my heart. Why? I despise Anyanwu. She is evil, known for her wicked ways and heartlessness— But Why do I feel bad watching her in awful pain.

Footsteps progressed our way and soon, Dinta appeared. He paused as soon as he sighted the woman in my arms. He shook his head and moved backwards. "Dinta, please". I begged him, hoping that the blinding tears in my eyes would be enough to soften his heart towards Anyanwu.

He then, moved closer and was about to lift her in his arms when she stopped him. "No" She insisted. "Please, Dinta, I cannot receive any help from you. I have cheated you, and I do not deserve your aid"

"This is not the time for this, allow him to help you-" I expressed, annoyed.

"No. I will die anyway, I can feel it." She said in a whisper like voice. "But before I leave this world, I wish to make amends with the truth and fix my ways— so that my ancestors may allow me into the land of the spirits." She stared unblinkingly at the ceiling: "A curse was placed on this forest by a generation of witches, the same witch who transferred her powers to me—Okeosisi. She gave me the secret, and it is with this secret that I have kept the curse alive. As long as I do not transfer this power to anyone else, the curse lives and dies with me." Her breathing became uncontrollable. I ran to the get her a cup of water but she refused.

"Amara!" She called out, as her pain seemed to worsen. I answered. She continued. "Amara, you were never the daughter of Chief Izogu. I deceived him"

"What are you saying? M-my father was never-" I grew short of words.

"Please, forgive me, my daughter-" She raised her shaky hands up to my face. Those eyes held sincerity in them. Repentance was evident on her face. But just as the night is inevitable, her eyes went out like a lamp in a wind. Her hand left my face and fell to her side.

I had forgotten that Dinta was right there until he placed his hand on my back to console me. I wiped the single tear in eye. "It's fine, no one will miss her anyway", I stood up. Somehow my words made me feel worse. No one will miss her, it broke my heart.

I turned to my shoulders to cry on, Dinta. He held me in his arms and kissed my head. Anyanwu's confession did good, now we know we are not siblings. Well, I am just saying.