23. Chinweike

June, 1805

"I now crown you Igwe nke mbu of Udogachi Kingdom!" Okeke, the oldest man in the village announced— as he placed the ófó in the hands of Echefuna of the Agu bloodline. Declaring Echefuna, an offspring of the Agu clan, as the new king.

After we rescued our people from the claws of the slave traders, they returned with us back home. The truth about Dinta came to limelight, and people were amazed. We all knew that he is more than qualified to be King, but Dinta took a bold move— the boldest move ever made in years.

He reconnected the two get families; Agu and Izogu. Yes, he return the Ama Kingdom to it's former glory, however, he gave us a new name. Udo ga-achi(Peace shall reign). This signified that there should be no more war or separation between us, ever.

He also came up with a system that made complete sense. The system of rotary leadership where each family had as much right to rule, until for a very good reason, they become disqualified, then and only then, can the kingship be transferred to the next family in line.  This made much more. Truly, Dinta is a man of wisdom, despite having lost his voice, he spoke for all of us. He gave up his place on the throne and allowed a son of the Agu family to begin the cycle.

My stepmothers and their children of course. Refused Dinta's leadership, and as such, they banished themselves. Nnanna was found by some girls on their way to the stream— he hung himself right after killing Papa. He must have realized that Mr. Atkinson only used him to get what he wanted.

The once 'dark forest' is no longer dark, except at night of course; after Anyanwu's death, the curse that was placed it was lifted. We learned that it had been housing the most amazing of natural resources. This is of great help to our kingdom. No more fear, thank the heavens.

March, 1806

I am currently sitting with Mama in our hut, it is not as big as the palace, but we are content and happy. We are both on a mat in the corridor, picking oha leaves from their stalks.

"Mama" I called when I heard her groan lowly.

"Hmm?" She hummed in response.

"You don't have to stress yourself, nne. Just rest your back, I will handle everything."

She gave me a peripheral look. "And leave you to do all the work? Mbanu, no. You should be the one resting, pregnant women need more rest". She giggled while continuing her work.

"Mama" I blushed.

"Did I lie? You think I did not notice your morning sickness, I am a mother, and a mother knows." She grinned.

"Well"... I was lost for words. I covered my face with my hands.

I felt her hand on mine, so I brought down my hand to look at her. She smiled. "I am blessed to you have you, both as a daughter and a daughter-in-law. God has blessed you with a fruit, cherish and nurture it"

"Thank you, Mama" I wrapped my arms around her with tears in my eyes. A noise caught my attention, I looked back to see my husband had just returned from his hunt. He IS 'Dinta' after all, a hunter. I got up and went to him. He engulfed me in between those strong, warm arms of his, and planted a kiss on my forehead.

He finally broke the hug and went to Mama who also hugs him. I quickly went inside to prepare his bath.

And this became our lives. Simple, monotonous, and happy. Few months later, Dinta and I had our first born, a son whom we named Chinweike, God is powerful.

The following year, word reached to us that slavery had been abolished. We celebrated the news. Some of our brothers and sisters returned while many stayed back. Sadly, the rest of them losta their lives and were unable to see that day.

For the first time, we were no longer afraid of our shadows...