15. Sacrificed

He continued. "You only know half of the truth because of the folktales your grandmother told you about how we escaped from the slavemasters, but you don't know about the Great War that ensued among us. The war that brought famine and destruction upon our land." I shook my head in the negative and he went ahead: "Years after our people migrated to the foot of the black mountains, our great ruler, king Anozie died of an illness. Sadly, he had no son to replace him after his death, so the kingship had to go to another family. Then, there were two most powerful families in Ama Kingdom, Agu family and Izogu family. Some people believed that the Agu family deserve to rule, while the others believed that Izogu family should take the throne. This cause a rift among the people and soon, escalated to war among the Agu family supporters and the Izogu supporters. The sad outcome of this war became that most of the children of each family were slaughtered leaving just one son on each side. For people to reign, the Agu family and their supporters left the land for the Izogu family, the only surviving son was my great grandfather. Unfortunately, the outcome of war is never seen in one day, or one month, or one year... the land stopped being fruitful, famine followed. So, to keep themselves alive, the Izogu family made a pact with the white men to provide food, clothes and protection to us and in exchange, we sacrifice our people each year to renew this contract."

"So, the same people who supported them, they sacrificed and sold off as slaves?" I asked.

A line appeared on his forehead, anger. "That is the only reason you are alive today, my dear, It is important to keep our lineage alive. Those who are sold as slaves have a chance of receiving their freedom in the future"

"What about those who are killed on that table? What chance do they have?" My heart as I asked this question.

He didn't seem phased, this man has no conscience. "Only those who become incurably sick are sacrificed to the sun deity. It is an important process, my child. The slave masters do not want them because they cannot do any work, it is an honor to be given to the almighty Anwu. They should consider themselves blessed".

I stared at him incredulously. "Papa, I can't believe you could say such a thing."

"Oh spare me the summon, Amara. That woman you call your mother have made you to soft. Let me ask you a question; if you were faced against an adversary who wanted to take your life, would you not fight back and kill them before they kill you?"

"That is not the same thing, papa-"

"They are very much the same thing! It is a dangerous world and only the tough ones survive. If you show mercy, you will be swallowed. So, you must not show any sign of weakness! Now, to become my heir, you must do perform as task to complete the initiation"

"What task?"