Chapter 28

~~~~~

~~~~~

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

~~~~~

Lucas's POV

I was drinking my sorrows in alcohol. I had kicked Andrea out of the house and I did not regret it one bit.

She had ruined me. I hated her. How could she just kill an innocent baby? She had no right to that. I did not know that's she was this vindictive.

A part of me still blamed myself for my deeds ten years ago. If I had just manned up then, this would never have happened. But I knew she was the one at fault here. Breaking my heart was one thing but killing a child, was not at all acceptable.

I heard the doorbell. I put my bottle on the side and opened the door to find my friends on the other side.

"Shit, you're drunk," Samuel exclaimed.

They came in. I was so grateful for their presence. I would have gone crazy if I were to stay here alone.

"Where is Zoe?" I asked Aiden.

"Her due date is nearing so I left her at home with my mother."

"Psshhhh." Ethan whisper shouted in his ear. "Don't talk about anything related to pregnancy."

"I heard you, man."

"Oh sorry."

"Don't be sorry, I'm happy for you and Zoe. Just tell me if you want any help." I took a swig of my alcohol but it was snatched from my hand by Samuel.

"Stop the drinking. It is not going to change anything. You need to take a shower and do something productive. I know you are grieving but this is destructive. Now, tell me what do you want to do today?"

"Uhhh... I was thinking of building a grave. Something personal not for my whole family to know. Oh shit! Do my parents and siblings know about what she did?"

"Yeah, I told them," Aiden said. "They called multiple times but you didn't pick up so we decided to come and see you. They said once you had your me time, you could move back in with them for a while."

I moved my hands through my hair. "Ohh. Let me just freshen up. Then I can call my parents and you can drop me at the graveyard. I still have alcohol in my blood so I can not drive. Thank you all for being here."

"No need to thank us. That's what friends are for." Ethan slapped me on the back.

I took a quick shower after shaving the stubble off to give me a fresh look. I could see bags under my eyes. I splashed water and then dried myself off. I dressed in a black T-shirt and jeans.

As I entered the living room, I saw the three of them seated on the sofa speaking in hushed tones. I coughed to gain their attention.

"You ready to go, Luc?" Ethan asked.

"No, I have to call my parents first. Feel free to take anything in the kitchen." With that, I dialled my mom's number and went back to my room for privacy.

She picked up the phone on the first ring only. "Hello, Luc? How are you? Should we come over? Do you need anything?"

"Mom. I'm not fine now but I will be fine. I think I will spend the day alone and meet you in the evening."

"Oh, my poor baby. Your dad, Echo, and Linc want to talk to you."

"Not now, mom. I don't feel like interacting with anyone at the moment."

"As you wish, Luc. I told your friends to tell you that you should live with us for a while. So you are coming?"

"Yeah, I don't think I want to live here. I will stay at the mansion for a week and then I will probably move to the apartment I had during college."

"You know you can live with us, Lucas."

"Yeah, mom. I'll talk to you later. Bye."

"Bye. Take care."

I took another look in the mirror and walked back to my friends. "Let's go."

"You are fine, right? No stupid decisions like getting high?"

"No Ethan, I don't plan on doing any drugs. Samuel, can you tell your mom to file divorce papers? I'll visit her in her office by the end of this week to discuss the terms."

"You plan to divorce her?" He asked.

"Yeah, she married me for the deal with the Volkov's and to break my heart. She had accomplished both. What is the need for marriage now? And I don't think I can ever forgive her."

"Ok man, your wish." I liked my friends. They were supportive and did not force me to speak.

We exited the house and Aiden drove us to the cemetery after picking up flowers on the way. As we parked, he asked me, "What do you want us to do? Come in with you or wait for you here?"

"You don't have to wait. Just go. I'll take a cab to my parent's house. I don't want to be a burden to you."

"You are not a burden to us. Just go in. We will wait outside for you. Just call us if you need anything. And by anything, I mean everything you need."

"Yeah. Ok, thanks." I exited the car and walked towards the cemetery. I filled some necessary forms. They allotted me a piece of land. I dug a small grave and threw the flowers in it. After covering the grave, I was about to go when I was stopped by a man.

"Do you want to get a headstone carved?" He asked.

I put my hands in my pocket and replied, "Yeah."

"You just give me the message and I'll carve the stone by tomorrow morning. You can then place the stone. I'm assuming, it's for an unborn child?"

"Yeah, my wife... She just went and aborted our child. I didn't even know till later."

"No one ever deserves that. I can only say that your child will be happy in heaven away from the sorrows of this world."

"Thanks. Should we go to the office? I will give you the message I want to be carved."

19 May 2021, Thursday

Caelan Rivera

The unborn child of Lucas Rivera

Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: you are my sun, my moon, and all my star.

~~~~~

This chapter was so hard to write. I can't even imagine losing an unborn child and I wish no one ever has to.

~~~~~