nine

-//-

(Black Magic//Little Mix)

"I'm bored," Andrea mumbled around the cherry lollipop she had in her mouth. The English ones were definitely better than the American ones in some weird way. Much more addictive.

She had given up on helping the boys and was currently lying down on one of the desks, swinging her legs back and forth in boredom.

"You're supposed to be bored. It's a punishment," Remus chuckled back, dusting off a big book on Transfiguration of Inanimate Objects. Andrea lifted her head off the desk. "But why did she take our wands?! That's just cruel," she pouted. Sirius let out a loud laugh.

"Because, New York, we're supposed to feel the burden of misbehaving," Sirius said matter-of-factly. Andrea jumped off the desk and went to the shelf to help them out again.

"Why do you call me New York?" she asked him, blowing off a thick layer of dust from a particularly old-looking book, causing Remus to cough uncontrollably. Sirius stopped and considered that for a second. "I don't know. You're from New York?" he offered with a small smile.

"Well, London, do you think she'll let us out earlier if we finish this before times up?" Andrea asked, looking over the quarter-finished work. "Depends on what kind of mood she's in today," Remus chimed in.

"Hmm. Fine, let's get it done then." 

Andrea put the book she was holding back on the shelf and took half a step back. Remus and Sirius both looked at her in confusion as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Emptying her mind and picturing what she wanted to happen, she lifted her hands slightly and opened her eyes slowly, taking in the work that needed to be done. Sirius and Remus both stumbled backwards as all the books lifted off the shelves magically and went to the sky above them. 

The book's pages opened, and she sent the books spinning around in the air. All the dust cleared from the books, simultaneously sending all the dust from the now empty shelves out and all gathering in a whirlwind that looked like a tornado mid-air. 

The books rearranged themselves and went onto the shelves in the correct order that McGonagall wanted them to be. 

As the books all landed on the shelves, the tornado in the sky spun around itself faster and faster before all the dust disappeared into thin air. 

There was silence in the room for the following seconds. "How on earth did you do that?" Remus whispered so quietly one could only hear it because of the silence. Andrea turned to the boys, both gaping at her. "What?" she asked, confused.

"Wandless magic," Sirius breathed. "Well, we all do wandless magic before we get our wands accidentally. You know, as kids. I just kept trying to do it and kept training without my wand as much as with my wand and then it got easy," she shrugged. "Some things at least."

"That was hella impressive," Sirius whistled, a wide grin on his face. "Why thank you," Andrea curtseyed with a giggle.

"Hu-hum," a voice cleared from the doorway. They all turned to the doorway to see McGonagall standing there with a stern expression. "Uhm, we finished," Andrea said nervously. "I can see that," she said, looking over the bookshelves.

"Well. Seeing as you're done. You may go." They didn't need to be told twice. Remus rushed out, Andrea right on his heels. "Thank you, Minnie, always a pleasure," Sirius smiled, giving her a tilt of his invisible hat as he passed her. As the three Gryffindors left Minerva McGonagall turned back to the bookshelf.

How on earth had a thirteen-year-old done that?

-//-

"Wandless magic? You actually managed to do it?" James asked in awe.