Twenty-Four

Eloise Waldorf

"Today, the Wizarding World as suffered a heartbreaking loss." McGonagall started, "At 3 p.m. this afternoon, Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt passed at St. Mungo's Hospital after ongoing complications with his health. Minister Shacklebolt's death came as a shock to all of us, even those closest to him. As you all are well aware, the minister's efforts during the Second Wizarding War were greatly honorable, and he served as an crucial asset in the defeat of Tom Riddle. He was passionate about fighting for what was right, and maintaining justice and peace, no matter the witch or wizard. He sacrificed his life time and time again to ensure that students like you would have a school to learn and grow, just as he did. While his time as minister was cut unfairly short, we at Hogwarts will forever continue on his legacy as the Minister that stepped in when we were at our weakest. We will remember his efforts and his sacrifices, and the wise words and lessons he bestowed upon all of us. He will be dearly missed." 

"I thought he was getting better. Isn't that what the papers said?" Ginny whispered to Harry. 

"He just got put back in hospital a few days ago. That's all I've heard." Harry replied, a tense look on his face. 

I stood towards the back of where all of the house leaders were instructed to stand, but still within earshot of the conversations in front of me. Draco and Theo stood across the room with the rest of the Ravenclaws, listening to what McGonagall had to say for once. 

"In order to properly mourn the death of Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt, classes have been cancelled for the rest of the week to create a designated mourning period as instructed by the Ministry of Magic's guidelines. You will still be expected to complete any assigned work, and turn it in come Monday." McGonagall continued, her cheeks looking a little damp. 

Her and Shacklebolt were both power houses when the battle came to Hogwarts. They both stood strong and protected the school that meant so much to the both of them, and the experience bonded them as close friends. 

"But the spot for Minister must be filled as to keep the progress of the Wizarding World moving..." McGonagall cleared her throat and began to read from the parchment in front of her, "Ms. Joy Dolos, former second in charge at the Ministry of Magic, has been brought up into the position. Minister Dolos has been appointed and has taken on the role of new Head of the Ministry of Magic. She extends her well wishes for those who are just as shaken as she with the loss of Kingsley Shacklebolt, but promises to continue to serve justice where it is most needed, and right the wrongs that still remain uncorrected." 

A weird feeling settled in my stomach at the mention of the vile woman. Now she was our minister. She held the highest power in the land. That didn't sit right with me for some reason. Just the thought of her brought the smell of flowers back to my nose. 

"Minister Dolos has assured me that the programs currently in place at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are to remain in place under the new administration, as long as circumstances allow. To keep up with tradition, she will be joining us for the annual Winter Ball as well, just as past ministers have done so since our school's founding." 

"Brilliant..." Ron huffed, probably thinking back to his foul experience with the woman as well the last time she was here.

"Your house leaders, professors, and I are available to speak with those that may be dealing with any grief during this time. Please do not be afraid to reach out if you or anyone you know needs some support." McGonagall looking over the crowd of quiet students that all looked back at her, but I could feel one pair of eyes glancing at me across the room. 

"Discussion regarding this year's Winter Ball will be postponed until Monday evening. Please do send your love and thoughts to the Shacklebolt family and those that adored our minister most." McGonagall finished, exhaling a breath as if she were proud of herself for getting through her speech, "House leaders if you will stay, everyone else is dismissed."