Chapter 1 - Cyclone's POV

Author's note:

All chapters written from Cyclone's POV are written by Artemis

If you enjoy the story, remember to leave a star or a comment!

"Speech"

'Thoughts'

Sound effects
___________________________________

Six Years Later...

I had always believed that I was so much more than just a dragonet of destiny.  Of course, that was exactly what I had been raised my entire life to be, but didn't there have to be more to life than just prophecies?  Everyone else got to choose their fate, right?  So why couldn't I?  Besides, it wasn't like there was anybody telling me what I had to do after the war was over...

There was only one small problem, and that was the fact that there wasn't much that I could do after the war was over.  Everything I had ever touched was destroyed, and I doubted that I would ever truly fit in among other dragons.

As powerful as my firescales made me, they were just as much a punishment.  Kestrel, our minder, always made sure to remind me of that, as if I hadn't already noticed.

'How am I supposed to choose my own fate if all I can do is cause destruction?' I think to myself, feeling completely hopeless, 'How can I help stop a war?'

"Fight!" Kestrel yells at Clay, pulling me out of my thoughts and back to reality.  I watch as he is thrown across the cavern and straight into the rock wall, although he immediately scrambles back up to his feet, awkwardly attempting to use his mud-colored wings for balance.  Red talons rake at Clay's face and he ducks away instinctively.  "Come on," Kestrel snarls. "Stop holding back. Find the killer inside you and let it out."

"I'm trying!" Clay replies defensively.  "Maybe if we could stop and talk about it—"

Kestrel lunges for him again.  "Feint to the left! Roll right! Use your fire!" Clay tries to duck under her wing to attack her from below, but of course, he rolls the wrong way. One of her talons smashes him to the ground, and he yelps in pain.

"WHICH LEFT WAS THAT, USELESS?" Kestrel bellows in Clay's ear. "Are all MudWings this stupid? OR ARE YOU JUST DEAF?"

  'Don't you dare treat Clay like that!' I think, wanting to intervene but saving my energy in case the fight gets worse.  If Kestrel wasn't our guardian, I would not be letting this 'training' be happening right now.  Besides, even if I did intervene, who is to say that I wouldn't just make it worse?

I hear Kestrel's hiss a half-second before Clay throws his wings up to block her fire breath.  He rolls into the maze of stalagmites in one corner of the cave. Hot flames blast the rocks around him.

"Coward!" Kestrel yells, smashing one of the rock columns into a shower of sharp black pebbles.

"OW!" Clay yells, "You said stomping tails was cheating!" He grabs the closest stalagmite between his claws and scrambles up on top of it.

"I'm your teacher," Kestrel snarls, "Nothing I do is cheating. Now get down here and fight like a Skywing."

'But I'm the skywing!  You never tell me that I fight well!  In fact, you never tell me that I do ANYTHING well!'

I let out a soft growl, angry at Kestrel but not wanting anyone to know it.

Kestrel suddenly roars, rearing up on her back legs and spreading her wings as if to make herself look three times bigger than she already is.