Chapter 3 - Cyclone's POV

Authors Note:

All chapters from Cyclone's POV are written by ArtemisWOF

If you enjoy the story, remember to leave a star or a comment!

"Speech"

'Thoughts'

Sound effects
___________________________________

    Suddenly I hear a thundering crash from the central cave. The entrance boulder slams back into place, and then there is a rumble of heavy footsteps. From the extra squish-flap sound of them, I know that it must be Webs, our only Seawing minder.

    "Something's happening," Tsunami says, a curious look on her face as she hurries toward the door, her ears twitching and the spiny ridge along her back standing straight up with what could either be worry, excitement, or a mixture of the two. "We have to go listen."

    Starflight spreads his wings slowly, looking hesitant. "I'm sure we'll find out what the fuss is in the morning," he replies, his face expression unsure.

    'Don't be such a featherbrain, Starflight.  It's not like we'll get caught.  At least... not if I can help it.' I am just as curious as Tsunami, and I am not about to miss this just because of Starflight's nerves.

    "Starflight let's just go," Snowstorm says to him quietly, obviously trying really hard to avoid conflict with Tsunami.

    "I don't want to wait that long." Tsunami spins around, jabbing the Nightwing dragonet's underbelly with her tail. He tips backward with a grunt. "Don't be a smoke-breather! Let's go!" she says to him, whirling out of the cave.

    "Cyclone, let's go!" Snowstorm's voice echos back to me off of the cave's walls as he runs after Tsunami.

    "I'm COMING," I hiss back at him, although it is less an annoyed hiss and more of a playful, quiet one.

    We followed the Seawing dragonet to the central cave, Starflight slipping in front of me and Snowstorm in an attempt to hide us better in the darkness.  We race towards our guardian's cave, getting as close as we could behind Starflight's night-colored scales to eavesdrop, although Clay and Tsunami had an even better shot of hearing everything, if they hurried. Tsunami was already charging as fast as she could across the cave and towards the river.

    We all felt at least a bit bad that Sunny was the only one who didn't know about our spying games, or at least I did, but as trusting and adorable as the Sandwing dragonet was, she was the worst, and I mean the absolute WORST, at keeping secrets. Sunny hadn't meant to tell Dune about the pile of rocks the dragonets were collecting. Their plan was to build a tower to the sky hole, back when they were too small to fly. They'd only wanted to stick their heads out and look around. But one day Sunny forgot to be careful around Dune, and the next day all the collected rocks were gone from their hiding place. That was the end of that plan— and of Sunny getting to know anything.

    Tonight, however, everyone could hear everything. From the way Kestrel was shouting, it was possible that even the Skywings way up above in the mountain peaks could hear her.

    "Coming here? With no warning? After six years, suddenly he's interested?" A jet of fire shoots out of Kestrel's snout and blasts the nearest rock column, causing me to jump on the inside, although I refuse to show my fear of the other Skywing on my face.

    I had always been afraid of her, and not just because she was our meanest minder, but also because she seemed to hate me more than anything else in all of Pyrrhia, and that was seriously saying something.

    'By the three moons, why is Kestrel so agitated?' I wonder, 'And who could they possibly be talking about?'

    From the look on Snowstorm's face, I knew he must have been wondering the same thing.

    "Maybe he wants to make sure they're ready to stop the war," Webs suggests.

    Dune lets out a snort. "These dragonets? Then he's going to be very disappointed." He eases himself onto a flat boulder, stretching his foreleg stump and mangled wing toward the fire. The big Sandwing dragon never discussed his scars or how he lost his foot, but the dragonets could guess from the anger of their guardian's voice whenever he talked about the war.

    The fact that he couldn't fly was probably why the Talons of Peace chose him for underground dragonet-minding duty. He clearly wasn't picked for his warm, nurturing personality.

    'Why, how very nice of you, Dune.' As afraid as I was of Kestrel, I had no problem with defying the rest of the Talon's of Peace. After all, I had always hated anyone who decided that I didn't get to choose my own fate.

    "We've done our best," Webs says. "The prophecy chose these dragonets, not us."

    "Does he even know what happened?" Kestrel demands, "Does he know about the defective Skywing, Sandwing, and Icewing?"

    I let out a soft growl, trying really hard to be quiet enough that no one can hear it except for me. 'How DARE you insult Sunny and Snowstorm!  They are NOT "defective." What is that even supposed to mean?  I might be a monster, but you can't blame the other two for how they hatched!'

    Beside me, I catch a look of sadness across Snowstorm's face. "Hey," I whisper to him with a small smile. "Remember, you are our tail."

    He looks over at me. "Thanks, but that is not what is making me upset. What is making me upset, however, is Kestrel calling you and Sunny defective," he says.

    'Kestrel called you defective, too,' I think, trying not to let my frustration show.

    Webs flaps his wings. "I'm not sure what he knows or why he cares. The message just said 'Morrowseer is coming.' I'm supposed to meet him and bring him here tomorrow."

    The reassuring smile fades from my face as recognition hits. 'Morrowseer... He foretold the prophecy. This is... not good. Not good at all.'

    "I'm not worried about them," Dune says. "We followed the prophecy's instructions. It's not our fault they're that way."

    "Well I for one, wouldn't be surprised if he wants Snowstorm dead. Snowstorm is the most useless dragonet I ever met. If anything it would help the prophecy." Hvitur says with a scowl.

    'Snowstorm is not useless...'  My thoughts trail off as I hear Kestrel's reply.

    "Cyclone too," the Skywing adds, "She is a MONSTER! As much as I want them to be battle-ready... She is just too dangerous. To all of them."

    I look down. 'She's right. It's all I've ever thought about myself... I just never thought it could be explained in so few words.'

    "No, she isn't," Snowstorm growls beside me, trying to jump in front of Starflight. I yank him back by his tail, stopping him. 'It's not worth it, Snow,' I think.

    "Well, I never thought Morrowseer would come to look at them!" Webs says. "After he dropped off Starflight's egg, I assumed we'd never see him again. The Nightwings have nothing to do with the war."

    "Did the Talons say what he wants?" Kestrel asks.

    "Well, it's his prophecy," Webs says. "I guess he wants to make sure it'll actually come true."

    'If Morrowseer is coming... What if everything is about to change?'