Chapter 2 - Snowstorm's POV

Authors Note:

All chapters from Snowstorm's POV are written by Darkwatcher

If you enjoy the story, remember to leave a star or a comment!

"Speech"

'Thoughts'

Sound effects
___________________________________

Clay and I were dumping the bones from today's dinner into the river.

Fires flickered around the edges of the great central cave. Echoing space yawned overhead, dripping with stalactites, like huge teeth. The cave dome was big enough for six full-grown dragons to fit across with their wings extended. The underground river flowed along one wall, muttering and gurgling as if it were plotting its own escape.

'And of course, Hvitur chose me for this job... The guardians always mention how Cyclone and I should never have been born... Kestrel does seem to have mixed emotions when it comes to Cyclone though... Wonder why?' I thought somberly.

I noticed Clay glance at the two small sleeping caves that opened onto the hall — currently empty.

Suddenly a voice shouted behind Clay, "AHA!"

Clay threw his wings over his head. While I recognizing the voice of the dragon who shouted suppressing a laugh.

"What'd I do?" he yelped. "I'm sorry! It was an accident! Or if it's the extra cow, Dune said I could have it because Webs would be out late but I'm sorry and I can skip dinner tomorrow!"

The small gold dragonet named Sunny poked Clay in the back between his wings with her snout and said, "Calm down, silly, I wasn't aha-ing at you."

"Oh." Clay smoothed his crest and twisted around to look at her, the smallest and last-hatched of the dragonets. A pale lizard tail was disappearing into her mouth. She grinned at him.

"That was my fierce hunting cry," she said. "Did you like it? Wasn't it scary?"

"The scariest," I answered grinning. As Sunny smiled happily back to me.

Clay then told Sunny, "Well, it was certainly surprising. Lizards again? What's wrong with cows?"

"Blech. Too heavy," she said. "You look all serious."

"Just thinking." He said.

Clay then lifted one of his wings, and Sunny nestled in close to him.

'Wish that I could do that with the others... Mandy I could actually cheer them up or myself for that matter.' A quiet whisper in the back of my mind I thought.

"Dune says we should go study for an hour before bed," she said. "The others are in the study cave already."

Dune, the maimed dragon who taught them survival skills, was a Sandwing, and so was Sunny ... more or less. There was something not quite right about the littlest dragonet. Not only were her scales too golden, but her eyes were gray-green instead of glittering black. Worst of all, her tail curled into an ordinary point like the tails of most dragon tribes, instead of ending with the poisonous barb that was a Sandwing's most dangerous weapon.

As Kestrel often said, Sunny was completely harmless... and what good was a harmless dragon? But her egg fit the instructions in the prophecy, so she was their "wings of sand," whether the Talons of Peace liked it or not.

"Come on," Sunny said, flicking Clay with her tail. He followed her across the central cave.

"I'll catch up later. I am going to look for Cyclone," I said before they left.