13. Happiness, Especially You

The next day, after my talk with Bee, I let Chia know that our triple date was on. I reassured Sophie that her situation was fine, and not to worry about it. Everything was going good. Chia and Matt had planned the event for us, and we were figuring out when the best day was for everyone. Since we were all young adults with jobs, other than my freelance work, it was hard to find any time to go out on a extravagant date.

It was already in the middle of winter when there was a slot of free time for all of us. Chia was excited to confirm it with us, and Sophie was still nervous with how things would play out. Even though it was supposed to be my first time to meet Sophie’s girlfriend with Bee, I had met the girl before hand. It was unexpected, but very enjoyable all the same. She had come over to the house, as a friend, and Sophie wanted to show her off to me and me to her.

Chia had planned a full day of breakfast, ice skating, lunch, a movie, and lastly dinner. I wasn’t sure why there was so much eating to be done, but I left that all to Chia to decide. She didn’t want any of us to worry, and said the day would need all the energy from eating.

December rolled in and on the first weekend we would have our little outing. The night before had Chia checking and double checking things. She came in every now and then, to my room, asking for opinions.

“Everything is going to go fine. You planned beautifully. Although I wouldn’t put too much hope into your schedule, sometimes things don’t go to plan.”

Chia sighed loudly, sitting in the desk chair while I sat on top the bed, “You’re right. I just want to make sure that Kaelyn has a good time, and knowns we are okay with her.”

“I’m sure she knows. It’s not like we are doing this without them.”

“Yeah... It’s just that, Sophie seems really happy with her. And I want her to know we are okay with her too.”

I smile, seeing how worried Chia was for her sister, “She does seem happy, and I’m sure she knows how happy we are with her decisions. They make a cute couple.”

“It’s gonna be hard for mom and dad to find out. So I agreed with Sophie, on waiting till they know what they truly want from this relationship.”

“Yeah. With grandma’s health, they really don’t need this news just yet.”

“We were actually planning on going to visit her today. Did you want to come along?”

“Sure.”

Very recently Bee’s grandma had to be taken to the hospital. Her daily performance had been slowly deteriorating. She wasn’t eating well, and she spent most of her time sleeping. We all thought she would come back around with time, but with Bee’s insistence we had her taken in. Already I could feel what started this. My own grandma had passed away a month ago, and Bee’s grandma was not taking it very well.

I thought of the two little old ladies. They had lived for their little meetings. A sibling of mine still brought over our grandma every weekend. The two would sit in the living room for hours talking about their past. At times I would sit with them, and listen in on the stories being told. The last time my grandma was over, no one expected it to be the last one. But now when I think of it, my grandma did know. As she told her stories, she cried.

“Luna,” Chia said, “You don’t have to come. It’s okay.”

Thinking of them must have made me cry. I could feel wetness down my face. Quickly I wipe the away. “No. I want to come. I want to see grandma too. You know, just in case.”

***

Another week passed before we finally went on our trip. The forecasted bright sunny day had us waking up at 4:30 in the morning. My phone along with Bee’s went off at the same time. Both phones sat on our drawer, charging over night. The phones sang for a minute before any one of us moved.