06. Traditions of the New and Old

In Bee’s car, his father drove, while his grandmother took the passenger side of the car. Bee, Chia, and I took up the back seat, with me sitting in the middle.

As much as I wanted to stare out the window, it was impossible with being in the middle. I had to no choice as I stared off to nothing particular in the car, thinking about the possibilities of what could happen during the wedding.

Swimming in the thoughts of my mind, was my family. I knew many who would take the news well and stay happy and quiet, but not everybody would be the same. There were the few who itched for drama, and gossiping was their guilty pleasure.

The biggest gossiper in my family would have to be my Aunt Houa. Sadly, Aunt Houa and her family lived in the same town as well. I honestly had nothing against my aunt, but the woman kept finding reasons to envy everybody and to be jealous of simple things. I could only imagine what Aunt Houa would come up with today.

Just the thought of what may take place made me panic. My palms started to clam up, sweating more than necessary. Looking down at them, I tried to silently wiped them on the cushion of the seat. After satisfied with how dry my hands were, I sighed looking back into the void of nothing.

“Are you okay?”

Looking away from my view of space, I turn to Bee.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Bee nodded, “Okay. But your sigh didn’t sound like it was fine.”

“Well, I can’t help but think of all the worse case scenarios that can happen. My mind plays out the horror stories of my life.”

“Okay. How about this though. Think of only the good things that can happen. Don’t tell me that there is nothing good in life or in what is going to happen today, cause I will list everything I know of. And don’t tell me that you can’t, I know you have it in you.”

I frown at the thought and tried to come up with one good thing about our wedding day with our crazy family. Shaking my head, as it was unbearable to think of something remotely good.

Before Bee could respond, his father was pulling into the parking lot of a rest stop.

“We’re already to the midway point?” Bee asked to his father.

“Yes. This won’t take long. Come along.”

Getting out of the car, I followed everybody out, we all piled around a cement bench, not far from the parking lot. I stood next to Bee and Chia as we watched the elders go on about their business. It was pretty early to be eating a meal already, and I knew swallowing anything at the moment would be hard. Even with that thought in, I knew I would have to take whatever is given and chew it down.

After the rituals, an elder came up to Bee and I, offering us pieces of chicken they had done rituals with. Rice along with chicken is offered to the ancestors for protection during the trip, it is also offered to any spirit along the way for a safe journey.

“Eat. Your family is  waiting.”

I take what is given to me, while Bee also holds his own. We take nervous glances at each other before taking the first bite of our pieces.

Finishing up the small meal, everyone gathers into their own cars once again. Bee’s father drives out of the rest area, and we continue on our last stretch before reaching my house. The trip starts out similar to the first half, quiet and desolate. I was still having a breakdown.

“Come on now,” Bee said to me, “it won’t be that bad.”

“Oh yes it can be,” I shot back.