21. What Happened Next

Sophie was ready to kill Bee when we finally reached the house. 

"What the hell were you guys doing? I'm gonna be late because of you two. You promised to take me, and instead you are 10 minutes late. We have to leave now! Otherwise all of my plans would have been for nothing and someone is going to have me in pieces. Don't talk, just drive."

I looked at her in shock. Sweet, giggling Sophie was gone. Even though she wasn't that much younger than me, she was always a little sister to me. And in matter of seconds I could see how grown up she was. This trip was really important to her. It wasn't to run away, it was meant to go and find out who she was. Being the youngest girl to all her siblings, she was spoiled but lost to expectations.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

Sophie stopped her outburst, staring at Bee and I. "Something happened between you guys. What wa.."

She was interrupted by Chia, who came up behind her. 

"What are you guys doing, standing by the doorway. Let's get going. We don't want to keep Kaelyn waiting alone at the airport."

Sophie was still eyeing us down, and somehow her intense stare kept us in place. Her next words were carefully picked out, "Bee, I forgot, before we leave, mom and dad has something to tell you. Dad will kill me if I forgot to tell you, so go. They're in the kitchen. Luna you can stay."

Bee and I glanced at each other, and without seeing a way out of it, Bee slides past his sisters into the house. Sophie grabs hold of Chia and me and drags us to the car. 

When she reaches the side door, she looks at me. "Tell us. What happened?"

"What are you talking about?" Chia asked her.

Sophie gestures to me, "Look at her. Don't you see it. Didn't you see it in Bee."

Chia looks at me, closing in as if she was inspecting something I couldn't see. She glances from feet to face and stops at my face. Chia turns sideways and shakes her head. 

I sighed, "Come on. It's nothing serious. We should really be leaving right now if we want to make it."

"You guys finally had sex, didn't you?" Chia said to me. Sophie just nodded confirming what she thought.

"Why do you have to emphasize the "finally"?" I said to her, frowning.

"Because," Sophie said, "It finally happened. I'm happy for you, but now that we confirmed it, we really do have to move.

"She ushered us to our seats, and yelled back to the house for Bee to hurry, otherwise we would leave without him.

When we do arrive at the airport, Kaelyn was ready to stop the plane if necessary. With last minute hugs and assurance of contact after reaching their destination, the girls disappear beyond non-passenger reach. 

We waited for another few minutes before going back to our car. And just like that, we had let the baby of the family out into the world. Two emotions rushed through me: jealousy and worry. Jealous that she had the courage to travel at such a young age, and worry of what could happen to her while she was traveling. But she had to step out and smell the air. Sophie was adventurous, and this was her calling.

After Sophie left, time moved pretty fast. In a blink, a month had past. And in a blink, there was good news for the family. Matt had come for Chia.

Bee and I were at his parents house in the morning, visiting. Since it was the weekend, and Gabe was on a trip with his friends. Chia was at home with us and she was fidgeting around the living room.