14. The Last Piece

What would this mean for Bee and I? The last piece holding our agreed marriage was his grandma. I knew Bee had his own personal reasons, but I also knew he did it to fulfill his grandma's wish. The same promise I helped finish for my grandma. I was scared for what held in our future. What changes would take place? Would we act as if we had been pretending all this time for the little old ladies sakes? Would Bee still see a future in me?

I held it all in, my thoughts being secrets too scared to bring out. We held the funeral a few days later after the news of the tragic end. She had been sad for a while now, everybody knew it. The doctors had told us to prepare for the worse. And while we wanted to wait for our trip, our grandma told us to go and have fun. She wanted us to have a good time and show her pictures after.

Time moved in a blur. Bee was home more often, but not for the reasons we discussed. He was home for his parents. Both of them had felt guilty for not providing more happiness. I had tried to help in any way I could, but it felt like every time they saw me, they felt even more guilty. There was nothing I could do right anymore, yet I had to try.

Christmas and New Years flew by, the children in our house had tried to make it as festive as possible. We had a great time, but there was still a hole missing in everyone.

And one night I couldn't take it anymore. I knew Bee's parents cared for me, and I knew Bee cared for me. But I felt disowned. Bee had come home early. We made dinner and watched movies with his parents till it they were ready for sleep. Bee and I finally were getting ourselves ready for sleep. And I couldn't stay quiet.

"Bee, what do you want to do?" The room was dark, and I was in comfortable clothes, sitting on my side of the bed. While Bee stood by the edge of the bed, ready to get in.

"What do you mean Luna?"

"Did you not realize? Our grandma's held the promise that put us together. Both of them are gone now. Where do we go from here? What do you want me to do?"

"Luna, I don't understand. Why are you saying this?"

"Mom and dad can barely look at me. You don't talk to me anymore. Sophie is planning on moving to South Korea with Kaelyn, and Chia and Matt are talking of marriage. I am stuck here waiting for you and our parents. I don't know what anyone wants from me. What do you want?"

Bee frowned, he gets on the bed and moves to sit closer to me. "Luna. I have never expected anything from you other than to stand by my side. I'm sorry if you have been feeling this way. My parents are acting like this cause they are finally realizing how important you were in the puzzle to make grandma happy. Before you, she was always sad, and when you came along we had life in our family again. They may feel a little guilty for shunning the idea of me marrying you at the beginning. They’re going through a hard time.”

Out of no where I was crying,

“Why are you crying? Don’t cry,” Bee said helping me to wipe away my tears.

“I thought,” I choked, getting my words out, “I thought you guys were going to disown me since grandma wasn’t around anymore. I thought I would go back to my parents as a disappointment.”

“Luna. When will you understand,” Bee said as he kneeled in front of me. He grabbed me by my cheeks, making me look at him in the eye, “Luna, you are important to me. Even if we married through an arrangement, I made a choice, and I stand by it. We will continue with our life as not only best friends, but as husband and wife. As much as you would like to get rid of me, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Who said I wanted to get rid of you?” I mumbled.

“What are you mumbling?” Bee said.

Sighing, I closed my eyes, louder than before, I repeat my words, “Who said I wanted to get rid of you!?”

His hands were still on my cheeks and even though the room was dark, I closed my eyes, not wanting to see his expression to what I said. There was a shift in the room. I didn’t know what was going on, and I didn’t open my eyes in time to see what was happening.

A warmth came over my lips. With a shock, Bee moves his lips against mine. My eyes pop open. Bee moves slightly off of me. Without letting go of my face, he smiles.

He whispers to me, “You silly girl.”

“I’m not silly,” I pouted, “Let go of my face.”

“No,” Bee said rubbing my face now.

“Bee, stop it,” I cried out. Bringing my hands up, I place them on his wrist in attempt to stop his movements.

Bee does stop, but only to kiss me quickly. “Luna, do you know how lucky I am to have you in my life?”

I look up into his eyes, still mad over his actions, “Why are you doing this?”

“Because, Mrs. Luna Yang Thao, I love you and I want you to know that I love you,” Bee whispered.

My face reddens.

Bee continues, “You don’t have to say anything to me at this point, but I wanted you to know. You’re not going anywhere. Nothing changes with us. You will continue to be my wife and I will continue to be your husband. I know my parents are making things hard, and things are changing around us, but it can only get better from now on. Now go to sleep. We have another day ahead of us.”

Bee quickly steals another kiss, lets go of my cheeks and rolls over to his spot on the bed.  

Scooting down on the bed, I laid down to get comfy for the night. But no matter how comfortable I got, I couldn’t sleep. This was not the type of confirmation I wanted out of Bee. It was more than necessary, and now my mind was back in the gutters.

I could tell I wasn’t the only one who was sleepless. I could hear Bee moving around on his side of the bed. What felt like an hour passed by and I was still trying to calm down my heart rate. Next to me, Bee lifted his face, and strangely threw his face back onto his pillow.

“Luna?” Bee said into his pillow.

“Bee. You’re not asleep yet?”

Bee turned over, laying on his back, “You’re not asleep yet either.”

“I can’t sleep.”

“Me either.”

“What do we do?” I said. My heart was pounding in my chest, everything I did to calm myself gone within an instant.

Bee turns towards me, supporting his body on his elbow. “We don’t have to do anything you don’t want us to do. If you want, starting today, we can take it slow.”

The room was quiet, and I could hear my heart. I could already tell what the both of us wanted, and Bee was waiting for my agreement. Looking over to him, I wondered where he had been all my life.

“Okay. Let’s take it slow.”

I could see a smile on Bee. “Are you sure? You don’t have to feel like I am pressuring you.”

“No, not at all. I want to do this.”

Bee takes the initiative and moves closer to me from under our shared blanket. And in the moment I didn’t know what to do with myself. I had never done anything like this before, and as much as I wanted it, I felt out of place. I laid like a doll, unsure of what to do, while Bee moved on top of me. His face came close to me, and my eyes close, but nothing happens as his mouth is near my ear.

“Don’t worry too much. If you want me to stop at any time, just tell me. I promise I will,” he whispers to me. Bee moves and starts kissing the little spot below my ear. Taking his time, he cares for every inch he can reach. Making his way over, his lips connect with mines.