Chapter 3: Starstruck

As the Hamato brothers continue their vocal warm up, April O'Neil watches in amazement. She just finished setting up the last of the tables with Casey. It was such an incredible experience to witness, hearing them rehearse.

"Wow..." April breathes out, "I've only ever heard them on my record player or on the radio. They sound even better in person..."

"Yeah, well, Mr. Hamato makes them practice almost everyday," Casey comments. "Practically since they were born."

"No wonder they sound so good..." April says, almost to herself. She was so amazed by their talent.

Each brother has their own specific style and voice, each one easy to identify so it doesn't feel like they're just copies of one another. Leonardo is known for a more classic style of singing. He's proper and elegant with his voice, but always passionate with his tone and movement, how he always controls the room with just his presence. There's a reason he's been titled one of the Top 25 Coolest Cats in NYC. Though all the brothers are equally talented, it's Leonardo the fans, the ladies, and the reporters adore the most. You can see when he's on stage, he feels at home. He's perfect, everyone knows that, and April could tell from his attitude on stage that he knew that, too.

Raphael's singing, while you'd expect something more extreme from him, is actually very strong and deep. Yet also soothing and quite lovely. His style is the most unpredictable because you don't expect a brute like him to have such an elegant voice, some say possibly better than Leo's. Maybe that's why The Dojo often has more female customers when he performs. Though nowadays it is rare to find him on stage. Despite his talent Raphael rarely sings at the club anymore. It was always a mystery to April and many others why, but rumor has it that he's performing tonight, and no one's going to want to miss that.

Donatello's very gifted with his rhyming scheme and pitch with his songs. He always sings in a tone he's comfortable with, never seeming to challenge himself with his voice, never going higher or deeper. He stays in a simple tone with his singing and it's nice. He's not a dancer, but he does tap his foot to the beat, possibly to help keep track of the rhythm, counting in his mind. Even when he sings, he seems to be studying or thinking about something else, just like when April saw him backstage earlier that night. He seemed so nervous. Is he like that every night?

Then there's the youngest, Michelangelo -- so energetic with his singing. He's the one who always gets people out of their seats to dance with his happy go lucky attitude. Although Mr. Hamato dislikes it when the audience gets out of their seats - for in actuality, there is no dance floor. The Dojo is a club where you sit and listen to the music, not dance to it. But that doesn't stop Mikey. He's so lively and also seems to be having a good time. He's the one everyone loves, critics and audiences alike. April never recalls ever reading a bad review about him in the papers. Mikey was born to be on stage, he has the performing energy that any other singer could only dream of having. April sometimes envies his confidence, wishing she could be more like him.

"Hopefully one day I can be like them..." April says to herself.

"What'd you say, Red?" Casey asked.

"Uh, nothing," April awkwardly giggles. "So, Casey, how are you so close with the Hamato brothers?" she asked, trying to get her head back to focusing on her job, but also to change the subject with Casey.

"I'm not close with all of them," Casey says as he rubs his neck. "Just Raph. I mean, Mikey too, but mostly Raph.

"I still can't believe you never told me you were friends with one of the Hamato brothers," April said in disbelief. "How'd you become friends with Raphael anyway?"

"It's a long story," Casey says as he continues setting the tables. "We just bonded over our similar interests and hatred towards things and before I knew it, he and I were going out every night drinking like sailors. His old buddy, Slash, would join us sometimes, too."

"Wow! You're so lucky! I wish I could be friends with one of the Hamato Brothers."

"If you wanna be friends with them so badly, why don't you just talk to them. Didn't you tell me you chatted with Donnie when you were backstage? "

April laughs, "I was barely able to control my words when I was around the Donatello Hamato, you think I can be calm if I'm talking to all of the-"

"Excuse me?" a kind voice says from behind April.

April turned around and to her surprise Michelangelo Hamato was right behind her, happily smiling at her. April practically jumped from Mikey's sudden appearance.

"Hey, Mikey," Casey says in a calm tone. How can he be so calm when one of the Hamato brothers was standing right in front of him?!

Mikey gives Casey a friendly smile and wave before looking back at April, "You're April, right?" the turtle asked.

"I-I-I-I..." April kept stuttering. She couldn't believe it. The youngest Hamato brother was right in front of her and he wanted to talk to her! April clears her throat, "I'm, um, yes! I'm April," she laughs nervously.

"It's so great to meet you!" Mikey says as he suddenly takes her hand and begins to shake it, "I'm Michelangelo, my friends call me Mikey, or Mike, or Michael, whichever is easier for you." He smiles and then leans in and whispers, "I was able to sneak out of rehearsal for a quick second. I just wanted to wish you good luck on your first official day here," he gives her a friendly wink.

"You... You came to see me?" April said, touched by what the young turtle told her. She then turns to Casey, "Did you hear that?! Michelangelo Hamato ditched rehearsal to see ME!"

Casey chuckles, "Yeah, he always does that with new employees." He looks at the young turtle, "Mikey, be careful. Your old man could lose it if you're gone too long."

"I know, but it's worth it!" Mikey giggles, "Besides, he's more focused on Leo right now." Mikey turns back to look at the stage, seeing Splinter giving Leonardo praise as he perfects his vocals. Donnie and Raph stood on the side, not amused.

"Gee whiz," April says, "I'm really flattered, Michelangelo-"

"Mikey," He tells her, "Just call me Mikey."

April smiles, "Mikey... I'm a big fan of your work, so this really means a lot to me."

"Oh yeah! I heard you that you own all of our records-"

"Casey, how many people did you tell?!" April asked, turning around to face her friend, interrupting Mikey. Her face grew red from embarrassment.

Casey starts laughing.

Mikey chuckles, "Don't be embarrassed! If you'd like I can sign some of them for y-"

"Michelangelo!" Mr. Hamato shouts from across the room. He signaled to his son to return to the stage. It was his turn for his warm ups.

"Sorry, Pops!" Mikey shouts as he turns back to April, "I better get back on stage," he tells her. "Gotta warm up my dancing shoes, you know?"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry if I kept you." April said.

"Not at all! It was nice meeting you, April!" Mikey says happily.

"Nice meeting you, too!"

"Oh! And April!" Mikey adds, "Welcome to the family!"

April's eyes widened, shocked from what the young turtle had said to her, "T-The family?"

"Mikey considers everyone who works here a part of his family," Casey leans in over her shoulder to explain.

That was a true fact. Mikey is so kind to everyone and immediately considers them his family upon first meeting them. That must explain why the magazines say he has a close friendship with the club's band members. There's the head of the band, Leatherhead who plays the trumpet. He always makes sure the Turtles are on time for their rehearsals and helps with their vocals. He's very kind and gentle despite being an eight foot tall mutant alligator. Then there are the other band members, Mondo Gecko on the drums, Rockwell on the double bass, Pigeon Pete on saxophone, and Timothy on the piano. All of them are very talented musicians on their own, but together they make beautiful music for the Hamato brothers.

April sees Mikey give her one more friendly wave as she watches him return to the stage with the band and his brothers. April watched them from a distance seeing as they continued their vocal warm ups and their songs. She smiles as she softly says to herself, "Family..."