Chapter 4: Show Time

Song:

"Ain't Misbehavin'" by Fats Waller

~~~~~

~~~~~

It was officially nine o'clock, The Dojo was open for business. A crowd of people were outside the club's entrance desperately trying to get inside. Slash did his job guarding the door, only allowing specific types of people in - either they are on the list or you know someone who can get you inside. April knew the club was exclusive, but she never expected Mr. Hamato to be so strict with his rules. Only the upper class citizens of New York were allowed inside. April watched the crowd of humans and mutants entering the club, taking their seats, going to the bar, and enjoying the band's music. All of them were dressed in the latest fashion, flapper dresses, feather boas, and snazzy clean suits.

"Time to get to work!" April tells herself.

April began going from table to table, greeting guests, taking their orders, and offering them cigars. Despite the law of prohibition, to April's surprise Mr. Hamato was able to get around it and sell many kinds of alcohol at his establishment. When April would ask Casey how Mr. Hamato was able to accomplish this, Casey shrugged it off telling her, "Who cares? We got the best liquor in New York!"

April could tell Casey enjoys his job. Anytime she would glance over and see him, he's happily laughing and socializing with the customers, and they all seemed to like him too. However, she would occasionally notice at the bar that Casey was giving out free drinks to some of the lady customers. That probably explains it.

As she heard the band finish up their casual jazz songs, Mr. Hamato went onto stage to introduce the first performer for the night.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!" Mr. Hamato announced through the microphone. "Welcome to The Dojo!"

The audience whistled and cheered.

"We have a special show for you all tonight. So to start off the night, his smile is brighter than the sun, and I promise you he'll get you tapping your feet to the rhythm. Give it up for Michelangelo Hamato!

The audience cheered with their roaring applause as Mr. Hamato left the stage and the light began to dim. It grew quiet as the red curtain opened and out came Michelangelo, stepping proudly into the spotlight. He approaches the microphone as the piano begins to play and soon a trombone joins in. Mikey looks out to the audience with a bright smile and starts to sing.

"No one to talk with. All by myself. No one to walk with. But I'm happy on the shelf! Ain't misbehavin'! I'm savin' my love for you!" He looks at the audience and points to a few of the lovely women who are close to the stage.

"For you! For you! For you!" he sang as he pointed at each one. Each lady responded with a flattered giggle.

"I know for certain, the one I love, I'm through with flirtin', It's just you I'm thinkin' of! Ain't misbehavin'! I'm savin' my love for you!" Mikey feet began tapping to the beat, as if the song was taking him over.

"Like Jack Horner, in the corner, don't go nowhere. What do I care? Your kisses are worth waitin' for!" Mikey looked out farther into the audience. He blew a kiss out to someone before continuing the song.