Chapter 16: Morning Routine

The Dojo goes by a strict schedule that everyone must follow, opening at 9:00 pm every night and closing at exactly 2:00 am. No one is allowed to stay any later, and no one except employees are allowed in early. With these hours, all Hamato family members are up all night working and performing at the club, not arriving home until 3:00 am, then sleeping most of that morning. With this strict time, Splinter and his sons' days don't officially start until around 11:00 am.

The routine goes as usual, Splinter and Donatello being the first to wake up so the two can begin working on paperwork regarding the club. Beside his talents in singing, Donnie is also known to have a brilliant mind. Ever since he was little, he helps his father with his accounting and taxes, keeping track of how much money is gained and lost each night at The Dojo. Though if you ask around, some believe Donnie is putting his genius mind to waste.

This little arrangement often helps Donnie get out of performing on stage, but with how things are at the moment, Donnie knows his father expects him to do his part and give the people what they want.

As always, the father and son begin their accounting, and this morning was exceptionally different because of the riot that broke out the other night.

"I've already ordered new chairs and glasses to replace the ones that were broken last night," Splinter tells his son. "They should be delivered by noon. So I will be leaving early to take care of the delivery."

"That's good, and with Raph's alleged performance tonight we should make enough money back to pay off this month's extra payments!"

Splinter smiles in relief, "Wonderful... Let's just hope your brother will go through with the deal."

"Father, may I ask you one thing?"

Splinter looks at his son, curious to hear his question.

"These numbers..." Donnie started, looking over the files, "something's off about them. Did you... take some money out of our account again?"

"I did." He refused to make eye contact with his son.

"Why? Where is this money going?"

"As I told you many times before, it is for personal reasons. Let's keep it between the two of us for now. Alright?"

"Father, if you want me to be your personal accountant and help you manage your finances, I have a right to know where this extra money is going. Looking at the files, you've been doing this for-"

"Are you really questioning me?" Splinter scolded, giving his son a cold glare.

"N-No, sir..."

"Good. Now, could you finish up the paperwork for me? I have to be at the club when they deliver the new furniture and glasses. You and your brothers don't have to worry about helping, Slash will be assisting me." Before he walks out of the family office, he looks at his son to give the same reminder he gives every morning, "And remember, you and your brothers must be at The Dojo at exactly 7:00 pm, no later."

Donnie nods, assuring his father that he understands and will follow through with his strict scheduling.

He always gets dismissive when Donnie asks about the money. A secret between the father and son for quite some time. Though Donnie has known for a while, his father always refuses to give detail as to what it is for, but there has been no great harm to their profit, so Donnie always lets it go. Curiosity killed the cat after all, and Donnie is too scared of a cat to only go as far to question his father, but never take further action. Let alone tell his brothers.

"Um, Dad?"

Splinter stops at the door, looking back at his son.

"I, uh, just wanted to let you know that after Raph's performance, Mikey and I will do one of our classic duets. A little final surprise could really 'wow' the audience and make a little extra cash, right?"