Chapter 15: Late Night Chat

"And that's what happened..." Mikey says, finishing his story to his two older brothers.

"Wow..." Raph said in disbelief before giving an eager smile, "Leo and Shinigami being in the same room again would be hilarious!"

"I don't think that's the subject we were focusing on, Raph." Donnie glares before looking back at Mikey, "What happened after Renet suggested marriage to you?"

"It got really awkward after that," Mikey explains, reliving the memory in his head, "I didn't know what to say to her so I just kept quiet. I guess Renet realized I was uncomfortable so she tried to change the subject, but it was awkward between us for the rest of dinner. I wasn't myself and she could see that. We finished our meals early, left the restaurant, didn't say a word to each other, then I came home..."

"I just can't believe Renet wants to get married," Raph thinks aloud, reflecting what he has gathered from Mikey's story. He then snorts, "I mean, to think New York City's It Girl would want to tie herself down when she's still in her prime. I can understand your panic, Mikey."

Donnie rolls his eyes, "Yeah, because the mere thought of commitment for you sends you into a straight jacket."

"Oh shut up!" Raph growls.

"You know it's true!"

"You know what else is true? How you can't flirt if your life depended on it, so you have to rely on me to apologize to the new girl just so you can impress her!"

"Wait," Mikey interrupts, "Donnie, you like April?!"

"I already told you I don't like her that way!!" Donnie shouts to his brothers, his face flustered.

Raph smirks, "The red on your face says a different story."

"What is going on in here?!" a furious voice shouts, interrupting the brothers' heated discussion.

Donnie, Raph, and Mikey all panic from the sudden angry voice. They turn to see their father, Splinter, standing by the hall entrance, arms crossed, glaring at his sons with his tired eyes. They could tell from his robe and nightcap that they had woken up their father. By his side was Leonardo, dressed in his pajamas and robe as well.

    "I told you they were all still up!" Leo says, hands on his hips with a haughty smile.

    The three brothers glared at Leonardo, all sharing the exact same thought, "What a snitch..."

    "They've been up for a while," Leo informed his father, "And past curfew if I may add."

Donnie panics, "You were listening to our conversation?!"

"What did you hear?!" Raph adds.

Leo scoffs, "Please, I couldn't care less about your late night chats, but I did hear something about my biggest fan and Mikey's commitment issues, so there's that."

Raphael and Donatello sighed in relief. Leonardo didn't hear or care to listen about the stuff they were discussing earlier. They don't know how long he was eavesdropping, but not enough to hear all the cryptic stuff like Donnie's secret studying and Raph being at the burlesque club. If he did he would've told their father in a heartbeat. Honestly getting in trouble for still being up past curfew is better than what could happen if Leo heard their full discussion and told their father.

    "It's 4 o'clock in the morning!" Splinter tells them, obviously cranky from being woken up, "Why are you all still up?"

    "Uhh... W-We were just, um... talking," Donnie explains nervously.