Chapter 18: Second Day

April promised herself. No. She vowed to herself that she will do her best on day two of working at The Dojo. No messing up and looking like a fool in front of her idols and her boss. Controlling herself when she sees her favorite stars. No getting in trouble, and certainly no putting celebrities in danger with their crazy riled up fans and starting a riot.

"Today I'm going to do this right!" April declared in her family's kitchen, slamming her hands on the table as she and her father had dinner.

Her father, Kirby O'Neil, was an oddball of a man with his bright red hair and beard, having a few gray streaks making its appearance more known as the years go by. He happily read the newspaper as he listened to his daughter ramble on about her promises on her second day of work.

"I'll make sure that Mr Hamato knows what a good and hard worker I am! He'll forget all about last night's incident!"

"So much ambition," Kirby chuckles to himself, "Just like your mother..."

"Hey, Dad?" April's attitude switched to one more calm as she sat down in the chair next to her father. "Do you think I got what it takes, you know, to be a famous singer? Like the Hamato brothers?"

"One day working at The Dojo and you are already dreaming big," her father smiles as he sips his coffee. "Focus on the job you have now."

April sighs, slumping in her chair. "So that's a no?"

"I didn't say that. I want to see you succeed in life and follow your dreams, but if those dreams are too high to reach, I'd hate to see you fall."

Of course he would phrase it like that. As much as April loves her father, he's been the type of man to never take risks. He's always been supportive of her, but never fully understands the layers of it all. April wasn't lying when she told Donatello he was the first to hear her sing. Not even her own father knows of her hidden talent. Donnie is the first to ever truly hear her sing, and to her luck, be so supportive of her, too. April remembers the other night when he caught her on stage singing her heart out, being so flustered but honored to hear him tell her she has a beautiful singing voice. To tell her she has what it takes. Despite Donnie's confidence that Mr Hamato would give her a chance, April fears the risk of being laughed at and rejected. To have her dreams crushed. Perhaps that is what her father is trying to warn her about.

Mr O'Neil proceeds to get up, folding his paper and placing it on the table. He cleans up his plate then goes to give his daughter a kiss on the forehead.

"Have a good time at work tonight," he tells her, heading off to the living room to listen to the evening news on the radio.

April's dad is right about one thing. It's too high of a reach for her. Right now at least, but it is not impossible. She just needs to take her time climbing up that high mountain. If you try to climb that mountain without the supplies and knowledge you need, you won't make it to the top. She already made her way to working at one of the most popular jazz clubs in the entire city, that's a good start. Though April did hit a road bump with her not so great impression on her first night, she knows with some hard work she can get on her boss' good side again.

"If my dad heard you sing, he'd give you a shot!" The purple turtle's words echoed through her head.

Donnie's support and hope for her was sweet. She's grateful for it, but April knows it isn't enough. She can't guarantee she's a good singer, she needs to be sure she's the perfect singer before taking her chance at talking to Mr. Hamato for an audition. She needs to continue to work her way up that mountain and Donnie could be the key to help her reach the very top.

When time came to begin heading off to The Dojo, April entered through the back door entrance as the bouncer, Slash, brusquely advised her to do so.

Looking at the clock, it read 7:45 PM, plenty of spare time for April before the club officially opens. She decided it would be best to talk to her boss and try to start off on a clear slate.