Chapter 2

Flashback to earlier that night

I was working the nightshift at this old diner in town. I'd been working here for the past 6 years, trying to make as much money as I could for my mother and I due to the fact my father left us. Despite all this, money is still tight and it's hard to make do with our daily needs.

But no matter what, I promised myself that I would never put my head down, no matter how hard it got along the way. Thankfully a few years pass and we're back on our feet, but I still work four jobs just to sustain me and my mom.

I let out a small yawn and got in my car, my shift finally ending. As I sat down, I felt a buzz in my back pocket and my heart immediately sank. The last time my phone rang, it was because my mom got in a car accident. Nervously, my hand pulled out my phone and turned it on, a sigh of relief leaving my mouth as I saw that it was just my best friend Abby.

She normally never calls unless she wants me to go to the club with her or if she's going to come over to my house and just relax with me. I pick up the phone immediately, despite already knowing what she wants from me.

"Hello to my number one bestie in the whole world!!" Yup. I know exactly what she wants from the way she sounds.

"What do you want, Abby." I demand with a sharp tone

"Whaat psh, why do you think I want anything? What if I just want to have a conversation with my best friend! Like civilized people."

"Abby, just tell me what you want." I say, hearing her take a low breath from over the phone. My eyes drowsily dart at the traffic light that turns green after a good minute, averting my gaze back onto the road and continuing my drive home.

"Okay okay, so imagine this. Figuratively speaking, right? How would you feel.. If I was in your house right now, yeah? And I am, let's say, dressed to go to a party that I have two tickets to go to from a friend and it was free!"

"Well.. If we're figuratively speaking then.. Mmmm, I'd say no. And wouldn't you have other friends to, figuratively, go with?"

"Please!! Bella, come on! You never go out with me, you need to live a little! Besides, it's not like you have anything to do at home, AND not only that, you told me next time, time and time again, that you'll go another day. And that 'next time' is TODAY."

"I thought we were figuratively speaking here?" As I open the door to my apartment, I see her in the living room wearing a stunning red dress, phone up to her ear. She gives me a sly smile and brings the phone down, ending the call while maintaining eye contact.

 She gives me a sly smile and brings the phone down, ending the call while maintaining eye contact

"So. Is it a yes?" Looking down, I took a deep breath as one hand pinched the bridge of my nose and the other went to my hip. My head looked up, my sleepy eyes looking into hers. "Look Abby, I really can't go. I have work in eight hours and I need this full night's sleep.