Chapter 33

Darkblood awoke, once again surrounded by the familiar mist. The familiar clearing surrounded him, mist swirled around the edges and a chilling wind shook the branches overhead.

The darkened ferns lining the clearing, rustled, causing Darkblood to turn and prick his slitted ears. He relaxed as he watched Pinepaw and Silverpaw pad side by side, through the dark fronds, deep in conservation with one another.

Darkblood cleared his throat to announce his presence. That caused Silverpaw to turn her head away from the conversation. A happy smile appeared on her face as her blue eyes met Darkblood's amber ones.

"Good evening, Darkblood!" The apprentice purred, ducking her head to her mentor.

Darkblood ducked his head in greeting to both young cats.

"Any idea why we're here?" Pinepaw asked, glancing around the foggy forest. "You didn't call us, did you Darkblood?"

"No." Darkblood shook his head.

"Could this be because of the monster incident with FoxClan?" Silverpaw suggested, but froze, as she caught sight of Darkblood wincing, as the painful and fear-filled memories pierced his mind.

"I-I'm sorry..." Silverpaw whispered, taking a few timid steps forward.

Darkblood shook out his black pelt. "It's okay. I'm perfectly fine, Silverpaw. But you could very well be right."

Silverpaw looked up at her mentor with a perplexed look on her face, blinking her eyes.

Darkblood's eyes trailed from Silverpaw over to Pinepaw, who was staring right back at him, both of them were remembering what had happened in the aftermath of the battle.

Pinepaw's green eyes narrowed as his slitted eyes surveyed the shadow-covered forest. "Where is he? What does he want?" He hissed, saying what Darkblood was thinking.

"Funny you should ask that." A voice echoed from the trees. The three cats turned to see a pair of icy blue eyes staring at them from a gap in the dark, leafless, trees. "Myself, Scarfur, and Shadowripple were just coming to find you." Two sets of amber eyes joined the icy ones, one of either side.

"Then don't keep us waiting, we have clans to get back to in the morning." Darkblood replied, trying to keep the hiss out his voice.

"With pleasure." Came the purr of Scarfur's voice.

The icy eyes and one pair of amber eyes came forward, the rest of their forms beginning to show in the light gloom. Wildtalon's white stripes glowed in the ghostly surrounds, while Scarfur's fangs shown.

"Why did you come to us after the battle?" Darkblood demanded as Shadowripple slowly joined them, his shape morphing into a cat, as if he was a shadow himself.

"Something has been decided among us senior Dark Forest warriors, something that pertains to young Pinepaw here." Wildtalon replied.

Darkblood glanced over at his apprentice with surprise. Pinepaw met his gaze with the same surprise. The two cats turned back to the Dark warriors.

"What's that?" Pinepaw asked before Darkblood could get to it. 

A malicious smirk crept onto Wildtalon's face as he stalked forward. "It's time the Dark Forest's ranks grew..." Wildtalon breathed in Pinepaw's ear, letting his tail graze the apprentice's body as the warrior circled.

Darkblood watched Pinepaw's chest rise as he breathed, not saying anything as Wildtalon continued.

"You'll be a valuable addition to the ranks of the Place With No Stars if you do what we ask." Wildtalon's voice was just above a whisper.

"What does he need to do?" Darkblood asked, meeting his apprentice's gaze.

"What all Dark Forest warriors will do... Kill..." Scarfur answered, a smirk appearing on his face, as he saw his son noticeable stiffen.

Pinepaw jerked away from Wildtalon, as the dark warrior dragged his over Pinepaw's exposed neck. He stumbled over to Darkblood and pressed his brown pelt against his mentor's. Darkblood glanced down at him, trying to decode what Pinepaw was thinking. 

Darkblood felt another pelt brush his and turned to see Silverpaw looking at the both of them with frightened eyes. Darkblood watched as Pinepaw turned his gaze to Wildtalon, who's claws were now out and glowing eerily in the ghostly glow. 

The wind rattled the leafless branches of the overhead trees, as all the cats stood still, awaiting Pinepaw's decision.