Chapter 2

Thoughts whirled around in Darkkit's head. He knew that his mother wasn't a trusting cat but...

Thornscar gave her son a last look before shoving past him, her tail hitting his face as she went and stalked out of camp. 

Darkkit stared after her. 

Don't get close, or you'll get hurt...

His mother's words rang in his ears, what did she mean...?

Darkkit shook his head to clear his thoughts. He glanced up at the sky, it was around sun-high now.

The bushes around the camp entrance rustled and in stepped the dawn patrol. Darkkit's ears pricked up in interest. 

"Want to go?" A voice said next to him. 

Darkkit jumped about a branch length into the air, scared out of his fur. He whipped his head around to see Firefox standing there, her light green eyes glinting with amusement. 

"Did I scare you?" She smirked. 

Darkkit stood there for a  second, staring up at her. 

"No." He squeaked out. 

Firefox let out a laugh. 

"Anyway all joking aside, do you want to go and explore Foxclan's territory?" She asked again, gesturing at the camp entrance with a flick of her fluffy-looking tail. 

Darkkit blinked in confusion. Kits weren't allowed out of the camp until they were apprentices. 

"You'd take me...?" He whispered. 

Firefox smiled and nuzzled his cheek with her own. 

"Of course." She let a sound that sounded like a cat purr. 

Darkkit bounced on his paws. He didn't care that he could get in trouble, he was going to explore the territory!

Firefox pawed at his shoulder. 

"Ready?" She asked, her eyes bright. 

Darkkit nodded. 

Firefox glanced around, checking for cats. 

"Make a break for it buddy!" She hissed excitedly out of the corner of her mouth.

Darkkit darted toward the camp entrance, shoving his way out into the open. Firefox bounded after him. 

Darkkit blinked, for as far as his eyes could see, there was flat, rocky, grasslands. 

Firefox pressed up against him. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She whispered. Darkkit purred in agreement. "I never get tired off looking at it." Firefox breathed. Darkkit nuzzled her shoulder with his nose. 

Firefox broke out of her trace. She let out a soft cough. 

"What do you want to see? There's the Training Dip, the Abandoned Badger Set-" 

"The borders!" Darkkit exclaimed, cutting Firefox off as he remembered his dream. He glanced up at Firefox in anticipation. Firefox smiled down at him. 

"Which border? There's Fernclan's, Creekclan's, we even share a tiny border with Duskclan." Firefox explained. 

"Fernclan's." Darkkit replied, squinting into the far distance. 

Firefox took a few steps forward and turned her head around to face him.

"You coming?" She smiled. Darkkit darted to her side, pressing against her warm, orange, pelt. Well not pelt really, more like legs.

Firefox laughed and raced off, with Darkkit in hot pursuit. 

~~~

Different scents then that of Foxclan's territory swept into Darkkit's nostrils. 

Firefox padded a little further ahead of him. Darkkit padded up to the border where Foxclan scent met Fernclan scent. He raced off in a random direction along the border marker.

~~~

After a few minutes of exploring, Darkkit was intently sniffing at a fern when he heard a blood-curling scream. It was Firefox! Darkkit turned around and ran over to where the scream had come from. What Darkkit saw caused him to come to a sudden stop. Firefox was laying at the blood-stained paws of a Fernclan cat, blood pooling out of her slashed neck.