Chapter 17

Darkpaw blinked open his eyes. He was lying in StarClan again. This time he was in the Apprentice's burrow, stars glinting in the moss and in the dirt walls. Darkpaw stood up and shook the scraps of starry moss from his black pelt. Joy surged through him. Firefox was somewhere here. His heart fluttered at the thought of seeing her again. 

Darkpaw bounded up into the open clearing, his paws kicking up dust clouds as he scrambled up the small slope. The cool night air swirled around Darkpaw and the stars shone brightly in the black abyss of night sky. He swung his head around in every direction, his heart thumping in his chest. He caught sight of starry orange fur by the Nursery. Firefox was sitting outside of the Nursery looking up at the sky. A purr rumbled in Darkpaw's throat and he bounded up to her.

"Firefox!" He cried out as he ran toward her. 

Firefox jumped slightly and turned toward him, her green eyes wide with excitement. "Darkpaw!" She purred, as he came to a halt at her paws. 

"It's great to see you!" Darkpaw meowed, reaching up to press his nose against hers.

"I've missed you..." Firefox murmured, looking down at him a glint in her eyes. 

A smile stretched across Darkpaw's face and he took a few paces back. Firefox smiled back and raised her head to the sky again, she seemed lost in thought.

"Are you okay...?" Darkpaw whispered, staring up at her face.

Firefox bit her lip and pawed at the grass. "Remember at out last meeting.... You-you told me you.... loved me...." She whispered, looking down at her paws, a small smile dancing on her lips, like flowers dancing in the wind. 

Darkpaw felt rooted, his eyes widened and his fur prickled.

"I love you!" He had cried out that night.

"Uh-uh.... I-" He fumbled to find words, his mind was swirling with questions and his heart was racing.

Firefox looked at him, her eyes reflecting the starlight that shone down on them. Darkpaw bit his lip and clawed at the starry grass beneath his paws, his gaze flicking between the ground and Firefox's light green eyes.

Firefox cleared her throat. "Um... Darkpaw, I've wanted to tell you this for moons but I didn't know how to say it.... You-um...." 

Darkpaw slowly raised his head to met her gaze, his heart racing and his fur burning.

"I.... Uh.... I love you Darkpaw..." Firefox murmured, her eyes locked on the ground.

Darkpaw froze, his claws dug into the ground. His heart raced faster than it already had, he was surprised Firefox couldn't hear it.

"I-" Darkpaw stammered, his mouth hanging open. Firefox's eyes flickered to his. "I love you too Firefox.... I always have...." Darkpaw whispered. 

A smile of pure happiness appeared on Firefox's face, and she blinked lovingly at Darkpaw. Darkpaw's fur was burning hot, his mouth was dry as a river in a drought. She-she loves me... 

"Hey, Firefox... What would our life have been like...? If you were still alive...?" Darkpaw asked, clearing his throat.

Firefox glanced at the ground, thinking for a few moments. "I'm not sure... Would we be mates...?" She asked shyly, as she looked at Darkpaw.

A purr rumbled in Darkpaw's throat as he closed his eyes, savoring the words like a fresh mouse in newleaf.

"Probably..." He stammered, smiling shyly at Firefox. "We would have kits too...."

"We would...?" Firefox asked, blinking in surprise.

"I-I mean, if you wanted to, that is!" Darkpaw stammered, quickly.

Firefox giggled, closing her eyes. "I would have liked kits of my own..." She murmured. Firefox opened her eyes and nibbled her bottom lip. "But that won't happen now..." She whispered, looking at the stars glittering in the grass.

Darkpaw pressed his black pelt against hers, he twined his tail around Firefox's fluffy one. "Let's not focus on why we can't, let's focus on what we want our life to be like together." Darkpaw murmured, touching his nose to her cheek. Firefox sent him a warm smile. She laid down pulling Darkpaw down with her with her tail. He pressed against her and their noses were nearly touching.

"What would our kits be like...?" Firefox asked, her eyes glinting in excitement.

"Well...." Darkpaw bit his lip, thinking. "We would two toms and a she-cat..."

"What would they look like?"

"The first tom would be have the body of a fox like you. He would be black with white on his paws, tail tip, ear tips, chin, chest, and belly. He would have your green eyes." Darkpaw smiled.

"What would his name be?" Firefox asked. 

"Ashenkit...?" Darkpaw said, uncertainly.

"I love that!" Firefox purred. "What would our next son be like?" 

"He would be a black tom like me and his left eye would be amber like mine and his right eye would be green like yours. And his name would be..."

"Blazekit." Firefox said. "I know his amber eye would blaze like fire. Like yours do Darkpaw." 

Darkpaw purred. "Blazekit." He agreed. "The she-cat would look just like you and her name would be Flowerkit..." Darkpaw glanced down at the ground, heat rising to his face. "Because you smell like wildflowers..." He murmured.

Firefox cocked an eyebrow at him, a smile on her face. She burst out laughing and pressed her muzzle into her paws. Darkpaw chuckled.

"That sounds like a good life..." Firefox said as her laughs died down

"We'd be very happy together.." Darkpaw whispered, meeting her gaze.

"I know we would... We already are..." Firefox murmured, quietly, pressing her muzzle in Darkpaw's shoulder fur.