Chapter 9

Darkpaw blinked the lingering sleep from his eyes. The dream he had awoken from hung clearly in his mind. He sat up and stretched.

"Morning Darkpaw!" Wolfpaw meowed from the base of the slope that led up into the camp above ground.

"Morning!" Darkpaw replied, beginning to give himself a wash. "What are you doing up so early?" He asked. Wolfpaw raised an eyebrow and frowned.

"Early? It's almost sunhigh." Wolfpaw said, flicking his ears toward the outside of the den.

Darkpaw's eyes widened.

"Why didn't anyone wake me up! Crimsonclaw is gonna be angry with me!" He squeaked, his voice high-pitched. Wolfpaw smirked.

"I thought it would be funny to let you sleep in..." He laughed.

Darkpaw leapt at him and sunk his teeth into Wolfpaw's ear.

"You are a horrible friend!" Darkpaw growled through a mouthful of fur.

"Pfft." Wolfpaw chuckled, shoving Darkpaw off of him. "It's your fault you slept in Mouse-brain!" 

Darkpaw just hissed at him with a glare.

"You hungry?" Wolfpaw asked.

Darkpaw opened his mouth to respond but then he realized that his stomach wasn't growling at all. 

"No I'm not." 

"Alright then, Crimsonclaw is probably looking for you for training." Wolfpaw said.

"Isn't Nightfire looking for you?" Darkpaw asked.

"I was on the dawn patrol." Wolfpaw explained.

"Lucky.." Darkpaw muttered.

Wolfpaw flicked him in the shoulder with his tail.

"Come on!" 

Wolfpaw led the way up the slope and Darkpaw followed after him.

"Good of you to wake up for the day, Darkpaw." A gruff voice growled as soon as the two apprentice's paws hit the grass.

Darkpaw jumped, his tail fluffed up. He turned to see Stormhawk standing next to them, a glare on his face.

"Uh, uh..." He started.

"Give him a break, Stormhawk. He had a big day yesterday." Crimsonclaw said, walking over to them.

"With as harsh as his mother was, he should be tougher than this." Stormhawk growled.

Darkpaw stiffened, he dug his claws into the ground. He felt Wolfpaw stiffen beside him. Darkpaw felt anger boil up inside of him, he wanted to claw Stormhawk and slash him until he begged for mercy. He was tried of cats constantly reminding him of his parentage and past. He just wanted to forget. He let out a growl from deep in his throat. Stormhawk glared down at him, his amber eyes boring into him.

"Going to be like your friend here and attack me too?" Stormhawk growled, glancing at Wolfpaw.

"Shut your muzzle Foxheart!" Wolfpaw growled, his claws sliding out, and his tail lashing.

Darkpaw shot a glance at Crimsonclaw, who simply nodded. Darkpaw turned to back to the FoxClan deputy. 

"FoxClan deserves better than you!" He hissed.

"Who's going to take my place, kit? You?" Stormhawk hissed back, his teeth bared.

"I'd be a better deputy than you any day!" Darkpaw yelled.