Prologue

Sounds of battle raged around Darkstar, yowls and piercing screams of agony filled his ears. He watched the Fernclan cats yowl out in anger and agony as they stared down at their fallen kittypet deputy. Darkstar stared at the his Fernclan enemies. 

"Come on avenge your dead kittypet?" He growled, smiling to himself as he watched the fur on the Fernclan cat's pelts rise in anger. 

His gaze caught something out of the corner of his blazing, amber eye. Faithclaw had stood up.

"They don't have to avenge me just yet." She hissed at him, blood dripping down the back of her head. 

Darkstar dug his front claws into the head of the cat he had pinned. 

"My cats said your were dead!" He growled, deep in his throat. 

The black tortoiseshell kittypet warrior shrugged at him, a smile on her face. 

"Apparently not." 

Darkstar's mouth fell open and he stared at her.

Faithclaw glanced at something next to her. She turned back to him. 

"Starclan had other plans for me I guess." Her smile widened as Darkstar felt anger filling him up. 

Darkstar let out a deep growl and glared at all of the Fernclan cats. 

The kittypet warrior glanced over her shoulder at her light brown tabby leader, Hollystar. Her leader swallowed and her gaze flickered over to something next to Faithclaw. Her green eyes moved back to her deputy and she gave Faithclaw a small nod. 

The Fernclan deputy turned back to Darkstar, she raised her tail and and launched herself at Darkstar. 

The she-cat's paws rammed hard into his chest, the deputy pushed him off of the Fernclan cat he had pinned.

Darkstar rolled back into a few of his cats, they leapt out of the way. 

He heard Faithclaw yowl, "Brindlepelt, get up and run!". 

Darkstar scrambled to his paws. He saw a reddish-brown tom drag the cat away. 

His amber gaze flicked back to Faithclaw, she leapt away from the Foxclan cats and landed next to one of the Fernclan warriors.

Darkstar whipped his head around, looking for something to attack. 

We can't lose! He growled inside his head. 

He caught sight of Hollystar. He smirked evilly and stalked over to her. Hollystar saw him as he leaped at her. Darkstar slashed his unsheathed claws across Hollystar's exposed neck. She let out a blood-curling scream that made a feeling of triumph boil up in Darkstar's body. Hollystar fell to the ground at his bloodstained paws.

He saw the Fernclan deputy stare at something next to Hollystar, she ran over and skidded to a halt beside Hollystar's limp body. There was no sign that the Fernclan leader was breathing. 

"It seems I've taken another one of a Fernclan's leader's lives." Darkstar let out a laugh, licking the blood from his claws. 

The Fernclan deputy growled at him. 

"I think you've taken enough from Fernclan. Now it's time for us to take something from you." Faithclaw hissed. 

Darkstar leaned toward her, drawing his lips back.

"Oh really... What could a kittypet like yourself do to me?" He pressed.

Faithclaw breathed, slowly.

"Take your last life and end your reign in the forest." She hissed.