Chapter 5

Darkkit's paws felt weighed down with all the emotions he was having, as the patrol along with Scarfur shoved their way into camp. 

Wolfpaw and Darkkit laid Firefox's body at the base of the Meeting Rock. Darkkit numbly sat down at Firefox's shoulder, resting his head on it. 

Adderstar leapt onto the top of the Meeting Rock and signaled with his tail for Thornscar and Scarfur to come over to the base of the rock. The two of them padded over and sat down. Thornscar didn't meet anycat's eye. 

"Let all cats and foxes gather here beneath the Meeting Rock for a Clan meeting!" Adderstar's deep voice rang out around the clearing.

Darkkit's fur on his shoulders rose.

Does he want every cat and fox in FoxClan to know about this.... I mean they should know about Firefox but about me and my parents..........

The members of FoxClan gathered around the stone, leaving space for all the cats at the base.

"Stormhawk, may you go to FernClan camp and gather a few cats to come here so we can talk about this matter?" Adderstar asked, meeting Stormhawk's amber gaze. Stormhawk nodded his head, turned around and ran out of the camp.

Darkkit's eyes landed on a few of his clanmates, they were sending confused and skeptical glances in Scarfur's direction. Darkkit stared down at his paws, his fur growing hot with embarrassment. 

The soft clearing on a throat stirred Darkkit out of his thoughts and he glanced up. Crimsonclaw stood on the other side of Firefox's body. Darkkit blinked. Crimsonclaw walked around Firefox's still form and sat down next to Darkkit. Crimsonclaw pressed his red pelt against Darkkit's black one, sending him silent comfort. Darkkit swallowed the hard lump that was forming in his throat.

A soft breeze blew through Darkkt's fur, a sweet scent wreathed around him, engulfing him in a hug. It was the scent of fresh grass and a hint of wildflowers. A new lump rose up in Darkkit's throat, making it hard to breathe. He had only smelled that sweet scent on one fox before... Firefox.... 

Darkkit gazed up at the sky. 

StarClan... Is Firefox with you yet...?

He glanced down at Firefox's body, he swept his tail softly over her cheek.

The scratchy bushes that surrounded the camp rustled, signaling the return of Stormhawk. Darkkit sniffed the air, besides the lingering scent of Firefox, the young tom scented two FernClan cats.

Stormhawk padded up to the Meeting Rock with a chestnut colored tom with forest green eyes, and a gray tom with white front paws and green eyes, following behind him. Darkkit guessed by the looks of authority that Adderstar was sending them, that these two cats were the leader and deputy of FernClan.

The cats and foxes ringed around the Meeting Rock stepped to the side so the three cats could get through. 

The chestnut colored tom stared up at Adderstar with confused eyes. 

"Adderstar, why do you have one my cats in your camp?" 

Adderstar lashed his tail back and forth. 

"He killed one of my members Chestnutstar! And he did something with one of my clan members long ago that has to be settled." Adderstar snarled. 

"Killed?" Chestnutstar repeated in disbelief, sending a glance in Scarfur's direction. 

Adderstar nodded. 

"Darkkit?" He waved with his tail. Darkkit swallowed and dragged Firefox's body over to where they were at. 

Chestnutstar's eyes went big in horror, as did the deputy's.