Chapter 2

Ranboo furrowed his brow in confusion when he saw Tommy's door flying open and the way that Tommy flinched. He almost laughed as he wondered what on earth Tommy had done to make his parents so angry, and waited for them to give him a stern ticking off.

But that's not what happened.

Tubbo and Ranboo jumped simultaneously as Tommy was dragged out of his chair and across the room; it seemed that he had perhaps tried to mute himself but was unsuccessful; they could hear Tommy's voice breaking as he spoke to them in panic – he seemed to be frantically trying to negotiate with them.

The VC fell silent. Ranboo and Tubbo felt frozen, unable to do anything.

'Ranboo... I... I don't think that's how parents normally act...' Tubbo whispered into his mic, whilst Ranboo shook his head.

'Definitely not.'

The pair could barely hear the sudden thud and scream coming from downstairs, but they definitely heard the boy being violently hauled upstairs again. Ranboo stiffened in shock as Tommy came into view; his father was dragging him by only his throat, choking him. Tommy was gasping desperately for air before being flung onto his bed and held down by his father. His mother followed closely behind, holding what appeared to be a knife.

• • •

Tommy knew there was no point in begging, but he couldn't help it. Terror was coursing through his veins as his father forced his hoodie over his head, revealing his heavily scarred back as well as his arms that were covered in wounds that were from both abuse and self-infliction. He was hyperventilating but he couldn't feel air filling his lungs.

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't breathe.

Tommy's father forced him onto his front so that his back was exposed and his mother approached with the knife. All Tommy could hear was the ringing in his ears, as well as his father's laughs and what sounded like... crying? He cringed as he realised that it was him, hyperventilating and sobbing uncontrollably.

Tommy felt a sickening sting as his mother stabbed the knife into his back and began carving. He let out a strangled scream and his father countered this by slamming his face down into the pillow so he could neither breathe nor make a sound.

His mother continued to carve into his back, twisting and turning the knife, and he thrashed violently against the bed, howling into the pillow. This continued for what seemed like a lifetime before his mother finally stepped back, satisfied with her work. She acted as if she were an artist and Tommy was her canvas, rather than a human in his own right. His father released the grip on his bed and Tommy sprung his head up, gasping for breath and crying out at the searing hot pain that coursed through his body. He could feel his hot blood pooling on his back and running in little rivers down his sides, soaking into the bed sheets. His father whipped a packet of cigarettes and a lighter out of his pocket and lit one up, smoking it for a couple of seconds before stumping it out on Tommy's cheek, relighting it and repeating. The boy sat there whimpering and sobbing, unable to move for fear that they would do worse. As more and more blood ebbed out of his wounds, he felt himself losing consciousness. The last thing he was aware of was his parents leaving him in a pool of his own blood, half awake.

• • •

Tommy's screamed echoed in the VC. Ranboo and Tubbo were shocked to silence, glued to their chairs, wanting more than anything to reach through the screen and comfort the boy who had passed out on his bed after the torture session was over.

'Tubbo- d-do you have his- do you have his address?' Ranboo said shakily. He knew that Tommy needed urgent medical attention; he was bleeding heavily and would be at risk of a severe infection if blood loss didn't take him first.

Tubbo was too stunned to reply and just shook his head, silent tears falling down his face.

'What do we do?' Ranboo whispered and Tubbo again shook his head indicating that he, like the other boy, had no idea.

They sat there in silence for a further five minutes before Ranboo again said 'We need to do something. We have to tell someone. He could die, Tubbo.' Tubbo sniffled and nodded in response before shakily suggesting that they call Wilbur. 'He'll know what to do' He told the other.

Wilbur immediately picked up and greeted the boys cheerily. He was confused when they didn't respond, and where was Tommy?

'Wil- T-tommy... He's... Please help us.' Tubbo whispered. Wilbur's eyes widened as he noticed the blood-covered boy lying, unconscious on his bed.

'Fucking hell what happened? Who attacked him? I'm going to call his parents and tell them to get an ambulance, what the fuck happened?!'

'NO!'

Wilbur stopped scrolling through his contacts and looked up in panic and confusion.

'Wilbur, his parents did that to him.'

It took a moment for him to set in, and he let out a sob before peering in closely at the screen. Through the pools of blood, he could only just make out the word etched in capital letters on the boy's back and as he read it he took a sharp intake of breath. It read:

FAILURE