Chapter 37

Wilbur drove in agonising silence to the hospital, his mind torturing him with all the possibilities of what this 'incident' could entail. When he finally arrived, he was ushered inside a consultation room with John.

'John, please is Tommy okay? Is he hurt?'

'He's fine. But unfortunately it appears that his therapist, Monica, has had some form of mental breakdown and has been using hypnosis techniques to manipulate her patients.'

Wilbur froze. 'What do you mean?'

'Tommy is currently having a flashback so we haven't been able to talk to him about it yet, but another boy was manipulated to be terrified of his family, and is convinced they're trying to kill him. We're afraid that she might have tried to turn him against you in some way.'

'H-how... like...' Wilbur was shaking so hard that he could barely put his words together. 'I trusted you, John.'

'I'm so sorry. We had no idea. We still don't know how many patients she has done this to.'

'I fucking trusted you.' Wilbur's eyes had begun to well up with tears and his breathing quickened. His mind blurred and, before he knew it, John had caught his fist barely centimetres before it made contact with his face.

'I... I'm sorry, I-' 

'Don't worry Wilbur. I know you're upset. Do you want to go and see Tommy now?'

Wilbur just nodded, tears still streaming down his face.

•          •          •

'Wilbur?'

Wilbur's heart skipped a beat upon hearing his name as he walked through the door of Tommy's room. 'T-toms? You okay?' He took a good look at Tommy and noticed that he was shaking, evidently not fully calm after his recent flashback.

'Y-yeah, I'm okay I guess.' Tommy's eyes were darting rapidly around the room as if he were expecting someone to burst through the walls and hurt him any second. 

John began to speak. 'Tommy, how do you feel about your therapy sessions? How have they been going?'

Tommy hesitated for a second. 'N-not good. She just talks at me. I don't remember anything from them - I just zone out. I... I'm sorry.'

'You zone out?'

Tommy nodded.

'So you don't think anything she's said to you has sunk in?'

Tommy nodded again, this time looking ashamed.

'And how do you feel about Wilbur visiting you today?'

Tommy looked at Wilbur and hesitated again. 'Kind of... angry? Wil, you said you were g-gonna visit me every d-day and then you just abandoned me here.'

'I'm sorry Toms...' Wilbur's voice was barely over a whisper. 'I'm really sorry, we thought it was for the b-best, but... you're not scared of me or anything, right?'

Tommy furrowed his brow in confusion. 'N-no?'

'Can I hug you?' Wilbur stepped forwards, Tommy flinching at the sudden movement. The blonde-haired boy thought for a second before slowly shaking his head.

'I don't know.'

'That's okay.' Wilbur replied, his voice cracking with emotion.

After some more small talk with Tommy, John and Wilbur left the room to discuss.

'It appears we've got lucky.' John said with a smile. 'By the looks of things, if she did try to manipulate him, none of it went through. But still, I'm truly sorry Wilbur.'

'I'm taking him home.'

John nodded. 'I understand.'

A/N: Damnnnn I'm sorry for the long break but I'm on holiday and would be murdered if my family found out I was writing angst on wattpad :( I might be a bit (aka very) inconsistent for the next couple of weeks, but hopefully I'll be uploading more consistently soon. Also, we're getting to the end of this book, but I have plans for another one afterwards so keep an eye out :)

Remember to vote!