Chapter 5

Tommy's eyes widened with fear. He backed into the corner of the kitchen as if he was going to be able to hide, as if he would be able to camouflage in with the wooden cupboards, as if there was any way he would be able to escape.

His father entered the kitchen and immediately locked eyes on him, smiling sadistically. He walked over and backed his son further into the corner until he was pressed against the cupboards. Tommy could feel the agony of the wooden beams pressing into his wound, but terror stopped him from crying out. His father slowly reached into his pocket and took out another cigarette, lighting it and continuing to burn Tommy's face. Tommy stayed as still as possible, staring straight ahead and trying to detach himself from this moment, trying to ignore the sizzling sound of the cigarette each time it connected with his flesh. The lack of a reaction seemed to anger his father and he rammed him up tighter against the counter. Tommy couldn't help but yowl in agony. He squirmed in fear and let out a choked sob when he realised that instead of the cigarette, his father was slowly moving the naked flame of the lighter towards his face.

'Please, Dad.' He whispered, his voice trembling.

'Shut the fuck up.'

Tommy felt the burning sting of the lighter and, as he began to scream, his father pushed the flame up closer against his skin. He could smell his own burning flesh and his cheek felt like it was melting. He was begging his father, trying to push him away, trying to do anything to make the pain stop, to make it all stop, but it was a futile effort. His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he could no longer hear his anguished screams as he seemed to completely leave his body; it felt as if he was watching the torture from afar; as if his father was doing this to someone else. Tommy wanted to step in, to save the scrawny blonde boy whom his father was causing so much pain, but he couldn't move. Perhaps this is how Tubbo, Ranboo and Wilbur felt the night before.

Eventually, his father released him from his grip and Tommy felt himself pulled back into his body. The flaming sensation and the crackling sound of his flesh overtook him and he somehow managed to find enough energy deep within him to run upstairs and collapse in a heap onto his bed. He was relieved for his tears, because although they usually felt hot, they seemed freezing in comparison to the flame of the lighter and he felt them cooling down his blistering burn. He could only think of one thing to do. He opened up his phone, pressed on Wilbur's contact and called him. Part of him wanted to call Tubbo or Ranboo, but he felt an innate guilt at what they had seen the night before. Wilbur hadn't seen the actual torture, but the other two had and that was both traumatising for them and deeply humiliating for Tommy.

Wilbur picked up.

'Toms, you okay?'

'He- Wil, he hurt me again.'

Wilbur's breathing sped up and he had to remind himself to be strong for Tommy's sake.

'Please, Tommy. I'm begging you to give me your address.' Wilbur implored. 'Why don't you want to tell me? I'm not going to hurt you, I promise, I'll get you out of that house.'

Tommy was silent for a moment before he shakily replied.

'I've tried before Wilbur. I've tried to get out before, but I... they... It didn't go well.'

'What do you mean?'

Tommy took a deep breath before continuing.

'They hurt me really bad. Really, really bad, and I thought I was going to die.'

'What did they do?'

One look at Tommy's face and Wilbur realised that he had overstepped the line. Tommy squeezed his eyes shut and began mumbling something and it was then that he realised he wasn't quite with him anymore. Tommy's breathing became rapid and it dawned on Wilbur that he was having a panic attack.

'Tommy, can you hear me? Tommy!'

The boy slightly nodded, eyes still slightly closed and still hyperventilating.

'Toms, count with me.'

Wilbur slowly counted to ten with Tommy, and the boy's breathing had considerably slowed by the time they reached the final number.

'They cut my toe off.'

That was unexpected.

Wilbur audibly gasped.

'Seriously?'

Tommy slowly nodded.

'Holy crap Tommy. We need to get you out of there.'

'I know Wil. But I can't leave. You don't understand, they'll find out and they'll kill me. I know it.'