Chapter 28

'The body of a teenage boy that matches the description of kidnapping victim Thomas Simons has been located in a bin outside a private residence in a small town. The body has significant signs of-'

The police officer had turned off the radio. Wilbur didn't mind; he had already been told all of this. He was currently on the way to identify the body. Tommy's body.

His eyes were swollen and red and his nails were bitten down so far that they were bleeding, but he didn't care. All he could think about was his brother, being murdered and dumped in a bin, cold and alone. He had been told that the boy they had found was the same height and build as Tommy with blonde hair and seemed to be of the same age. Wilbur couldn't help but hope that it wasn't him, but deep down he knew that it was impossible; no other teenage boys of that description had gone missing in the past couple of months, and it would be too much of a coincidence for the body to have been found less than 20 miles away from where Tommy went missing.

Wilbur's heart ached as his mind began torturing him once again, forcing to imagine how much pain Tommy must have been in; he had been told that the cause of death appeared to have been bludgeoning to the head, and that he probably would have died within an hour.

An hour.

Tommy was lying there alone, for up to an hour, knowing that he was going to die.

Wilbur couldn't stop thinking about how much more time Tommy should have had, and how he couldn't think of anyone who deserved it less. They still hadn't found the suspect – Wilbur recalled that his name was Derick Munsey – and the police were interviewing his family members so that they could try and find out where he was.

But Wilbur had no more time to think, as the police officer pulled into the station. They had arrived; the time had come where Wilbur was going to have to look at his brother, cold and dead, lying lifeless on a table.

• • •

As Wilbur walked in, the first thing he saw was Tommy's dirty blonde hair, chunks of it stained red from blood although it was obvious someone had tried to wash it out. Upon seeing this, Wilbur couldn't help himself. He let out a choked sob and felt his eyes blur with tears. He couldn't do this.

'From my experience, it's easier if you get it over and done with quicker.' The police officer said to him softly and Wilbur nodded. He shakily walked over to the table and looked at Tommy's face, but...

'It's... I-it's not him, I, I've never seen this person.'

Wilbur's breathing quickened as hope flooded his veins once again. Tommy might be alive. There was a chance. It was a small chance, but it was still something.

'Are you sure?' The police officer asked, furrowing his brow in confusion.

'Yes. I... I know his face is quite swollen, but t-that's not him. It's definitely not. Look, l-look here, look at this picture.' He whipped out his phone and showed the police officer his lock screen.

'L-look, the eyes are a different shape, Tommy's eyes are c-closer together, it's not him. It's not him.'

The police officer furrowed his brows in confusion. 'No other teenage boy matching this description has gone missing in the past year. Are you absolutely certain?'

'Yes. I'm certain.'

The next few hours were a blur, as Tommy's case was once again raised to the status of high importance and more police officers went out searching for him and, more notably, searching for the man they suspected had taken him. The momentary relief that Wilbur had felt at finding out that it wasn't Tommy's body had vanished completely as he realised that they were no closer to finding him.

That was, until the news came that a grubby, dishevelled man had turned himself in to the police claiming to be Derick Munsey.

Two chapters in a day, I'm officially popping off. Make sure you all get something to eat and drink because you deserve it. <3