Seven

I don't know if you can consider this as an idea for a drabble but feel free to share what you think in whatever form you'd like... We know that in the Boruto series we're already in the arc where Kawaki is staying with the Uzumakis. Prior to Naruto bringing him home though, how do you think the conversation went between Naruto and Hinata about having the boy stay with them? Surely he didn't just bring him to their house without informing his wife ahead (I imagine that the convo took place while Kawaki was still in the hospital).

She knew it was him even before he called out her name. It was simply so rare to have him come home this early in the day.

Her heart lifted and she left the laundry to go meet him at the door. She smiled to herself. This was probably important. He wouldn't leave his job in the middle of the day just to come see her.

Still, though, he was home. And none of the children were. Himawari was at school and Boruto was out on his mission.

Then Naruto's voice called out, "Hinata! I'm home."

And she was there to meet him with a smile of greeting on her face.

His answering smile was brief but the hug she gave him made his lips stretch again—wider this time—inhale her scent, and then lean down to kiss her on the lips.

She looked into his solemn face and said, "I'll make us some tea. This looks important."

They sat at the kitchen table facing each other. His hands were wrapped around the yunomi as he stared off into space first. But then he looked her in the eyes, and the slump on his shoulders became more noticeable. Something was definitely weighing him down.

Hinata didn't rush him, but she gave him an encouraging nod. She would listen to whatever he said.

***

Naruto was grateful for the silence. He knew how much this would affect them all, but as his wife, she had the power to say no, the right to determine what was best for the family.

Things would have to change, no question about it. The children's lives would be disrupted. He would place another burden on her shoulders, another person she—no, they— would need to care for.

But. There was a life to be saved. He couldn't ignore it when he had the power to do something about it, especially since this was right before his eyes, his direct reach.

And he knew that she would understand.

She always did.

He took a deep breath. "There's a boy."

And she smiled, that reassuringly gentle lifting of her lips that indicated she was remembering already. The painful childhood, the hurt, the fear, the rejection, the trauma, the loneliness, the feelings of despair.

But there was also the light that came when someone reached out a hand to show kindness, and then to pull you up from the darkness. That somehow, a life can always be turned around.

Sometimes it only took one person to do so.

But a family...

A family could mean the world.

Her smile brightened as her eyes lit with compassionate understanding, easing the tightness in his chest, making him feel that helping this boy was not going to be a mistake. That this was the right decision.

Hinata leaned over and extended her arms. Her hands found his over the table, gripped tightly. He looked at their entwined fingers, at the small delicate hands that always had the power to comfort and encourage him.

Naruto couldn't help the relief that suddenly flooded him.

"And he needs our help," she finished for him.