Fifty-four

Can I ask for a drabble about Hinata figuring out/realizing she's pregnant the first time?

It was the absence of pain that surprised Hinata more than anything.

Usually, the week leading up to her period, the cramps would hinder her movements and render her less graceful than usual. Sometimes, she would lay on the bed and Naruto would rub her back soothingly.

"I wish I could do something about this for you, Hinata," he said, his tone full of sympathy as he saw how much the pain made her tense up.

She only shook her head and joked, "The joys of being a woman."

He sighed, brushed at the bangs on her forehead, pressed a kiss there, and continued to rub at the spot on her lower back where she felt the most discomfort.

It was something she could bear because when he was with her, she always felt better.

But, she realized, as she sat drinking her tea, that it had been a couple of months since she'd felt the cramps.

A startled expression crossed her face, only to be replaced by hope.

Two months...

They'd been married for three.

She gasped.

Was it possible?

Only one way to find out.

Hinata tamped down the nervous feeling that fluttered through her as she grabbed her jacket and slipped on her shoes. Throughout the walk to the drug store, she kept herself calm by forcing herself to think of random things: Hanabi's date with Konohamaru next week, Shino passing his teacher's license exam, Kakashi-sama visiting her father to discuss the state of the Hyuuga clan's Main/Side branch system.

She wanted to keep her cool because she could feel herself all jumbled up with different emotions. She was giddy with excitement, anxious with fear, worried about her ability to be a mother, and anticipation for Naruto's reaction, if—

And she stopped herself there because didn't want to go further, of getting her hopes up too much and becoming disappointed if the results were negative.

But.

She took a deep, calming breath and forced herself to walk slowly.

No.

She wouldn't allow herself to feel anything unless everything was confirmed or denied. She didn't want to waste her time and emotions.

So it was with deliberate composure that she bought five different kinds of pregnancy kits—just to make sure.

And it took her a whole afternoon and a whole lot of tea and water to complete all of them.

She sat in silence in the living room, still reeling.

All five bore the proof.

She was pregnant.

With Naruto's child.

A hand came to rest on her belly, and the feelings she'd kept at bay flooded her suddenly, leaving her gasping at the enormity of this event.

Joy brought tears to her eyes.

"Baby," she whispered to herself, unable to believe it.

She was going to be a mother. Naruto was going to be a father.

A family for the both of them.

But still, she wanted to be really sure. Just one more, a final check, from an expert to confirm the truth. Once she got the okay, she would rejoice.

Sakura would help her, she decided. She looked at the clock. There was still enough time to see her friend at the hospital. Sakura never left until the evening.

After all the tests were done, the hug from Sakura was everything Hinata wanted it to be.

Sakura was crying, sniffling with happiness and apologizing at the same time. "Sorry, Hinata!" she said as she wiped her eyes. "I'm just so happy for you guys."

How Hinata managed to let just a trickle of tears down her cheeks, she never knew, because she was bursting with so much happiness, she'd expected more tears to gush out. But she was so glad Sakura was here to share her joy as she felt her friend grip her hand and then pat her tummy.

Sakura smiled tearfully. "I just hope this baby looks like you, Hinata."

And the two of them laughed.

She cooked dinner slowly, waiting with quiet excitement for Naruto to return home. It had taken all her concentration to whip up the simple meal because she couldn't sit still, she wanted to shout the news to everyone. But she needed to share this with the one person who was so much a part of the process. She grinned to herself because he was always such a willing participant.

The lock turned and then Hinata heard his voice calling her name in the entryway.

"I'm home!"

Yes, Hinata, thought as she smiled and looked down at her tummy, imagining the little spark of life settling in and getting comfortable in her womb.

Little, baby, welcome to your new home.