Eight

May I request an NH mother's day drabble for hinata? Thank you!

"Okan?" he asked.

"No! Wrong dialect!" she yelled with a surprised laugh as she slapped him playfully on the arm.

He grinned, and she felt his lips move against her hair.

"How about Haha-ue?" he tried again.

Her laughter shook the bed when she heard that. "That's just silly!"

"Too bad. I would love to hear someone use it with you." He smiled and kissed her on the back of the head. "Let's make it less formal then. Haha?"

She shook her head. "It's cute, but no. Sounds kinda stiff, to be honest."

"Hmmm," he breathed while thinking of another word for her. She shifted in his arms as she tried to become more comfortable spooning against him. He obliged her by making his arm a pillow for her. She sighed her thanks.

"Ah! I got it, Hinata," he murmured at her ear. "Just regular Okaa-san?"

She was quiet for a bit. Eventually, she said, "Maybe."

His hand gripped hers and then together, their hands rubbed over her belly.

"I've always liked Kaa-chan," he admitted quietly. "I think it fits you, you know."

This time, she nodded. He could hear the smile in her voice when she said, "Me, too."

Again, more silence filled their bedroom, each one content to feel and anticipate this tiny life waiting to join them.

But Naruto eventually laughed, his joy hard to contain. "Watch, this baby's going to pop out of your tummy in a couple months screaming, 'Mama!'"

"Naruto!" Hinata burst out with a horrified chuckle at the image it created in her head.

Then she turned around so she could smile directly into his eyes.

He kissed her, of course. It was only natural when they were facing each other.

"Either way," she said, as she placed a palm on his cheek. "I will be happy with whatever this child calls me."

*****

Notes:

Okan オカンis the casual Kansai-ben/Osaka-ben for mother/mom. It's very different from the standard Japanese you'll hear in Tokyo and the rest of the country.

Haha-ue 母上 is the very very formal term for mother usually used in those period dramas with samurai and ninjas of long ago. Think Oda Nobunaga addressing his mother this way.