Thirty-nine

Can you write a drabble where Naruto comes back from a mission and he's _impatient_ to see Hinata to be with her? ? Thank you! ️

Oh, lord. There he goes, Naruto thought with annoyance as the Hokage began speaking.

"The Tsuchikage of Iwa was grateful for the help you offered their shinobi, Naruto," Kakashi began.

Shikamaru was nodding next to the Hokage, but Naruto wasn't really listening.

He stood before them, in front of Kakashi's desk, waiting for the two to finish his debriefing but already, his attention was wandering away from the Hokage. His mind was trying to find Hinata, who was at home awaiting his return.

Naruto resisted the urge to fold his arms and tap his feet. He just wanted this to be over with, but he knew that after Kakashi finished speaking, Shikamaru still had more things to add.

He glanced at the clock surreptitiously. Damn, it was already 6:00 p.m. He'd been gone from Konoha for so long! He just couldn't wait to see Hinata tonight.

She'd promised to cook him a hamburger steak once he got home from this mission. It was one of the dishes he loved because she made it specifically only for him—one of the joys of being married to her. And afterwards, when the dishes were cleared away and he'd helped her wash and dry them....

Naruto blinked when he noticed the silence from the Hokage and his assistant.

Oh, he thought in panic as they waited for him to speak. He was supposed to respond to something, but he hadn't heard the conversation. So he nodded as solemnly and as slowly as he could. That seemed to do the trick, he breathed with relief because Kakashi's voice came again, followed by something that Shikamaru said.

They continued droning on again so Naruto felt safe continuing this fantasy of coming home to his wife.

In his mind's eye, they were moving now to the bedroom and Naruto could see Hinata wearing only a t-shirt, and maybe if he was lucky, nothing else.

His fingers started tapping absentmindedly against his thigh. He frowned and kept a serious expression on his face as he bobbed his head up and down in what he hoped was a good imitation of someone listening.

Meanwhile, Hinata was smiling at him shyly, blushing in expectation of what he was going to do, reaching her arms up while his hands were pulling on the t-shirt—

"Naruto!" Kakashi's loud voice finally penetrated Naruto's mind and he blinked, losing the image of his half-naked wife.

He was still in the Hokage office. Kakashi was glaring at him and it also finally occurred to him that Shikamaru's face had that annoyed expression he always had when he was talking to him.

Whoops. He was caught. He had no idea what the conversation was all about.

"Uh, yes?" Naruto asked hesitantly. And then just to make sure he wouldn't get into more trouble for being caught not paying attention, he added, in his most respectful tone, "Sir, Kakashi-sama."

"You can leave now," the Hokage said drily. "I already dismissed you ten minutes ago."

And it was enough for Naruto to turn on his Kyuubi mode so that he could reach Hinata just a little bit faster.

He flew out of the Hokage's office without an apology and another backward glance at them.

Shikamaru sighed after rolling his eyes. "God. Newlyweds! He's only been gone half a day!"