11. Percy

My ears rang as I stood. Around me fire was burning on small and large scraps of metal. Moving my arm, I winced and look at my upper left arm, just above my elbow to find a five inch metal scrap peeking out.
The explosion had ignited a few seconds after the fire. Beside me, Cass rolled to her feet with one hand surprisingly holding Cat woman's shoulder.
"Artemis! Superboy!" I called "Beast boy!"
"Robin! I'm okay, I have Gar with me" A head slowly became visible through the smoke and I found superboy looking around.
"Where's Artemis? And Star Girl?" I asked
"I'll find them" Conner answered at the same time another voice called but it was to muffled to hear what, hopefully it was one or both of the girls.
I turned back to Cass and Cat Woman.
"Okay cat, who hired you?"
She scoffed "you obviously haven't done this before. Maybe I'll tell you if you give me enough incentive."
Normally this would be the time when Bruce would come out of the shadows all broody and say something like "Would a broken nose be enough incentive?" But I wasn't Bruce and though it usually worked for him I doubted Cat Woman was very scared of me and I doubted a broken nose would get her to talk if she was being payed enough.
"How about you tell us and I'll tell the police to go easy on you?" I answered
"Oh cmon Boy Wonder. Those gadgets probably cost a lot, you've got to have money stored somewhere."
"Tell us" Cass finally spoke up. Like usual her voice was quiet but still very strong and right now held a menace to it. "Tell us and I won't unmask you."
I raised an eyebrow at the cat. For some people that was close to no incentive, but if she went this far to hide her identity maybe...
"And then what?" She asked "you're supposed to be detectives I'm sure Batman would've already figured it out."
Cass frowned at me. To be fair Catwoman wasn't wrong, Bruce would've already figured it out. But we unfortunately weren't Bruce. And although both of us were decent at tracking and detective work combat was definitely our strong suit. We left the detective work to Annabeth, Babs, and Tim.
"She's stalling" Star Girl joined us while still dusting herself off. She had a cut across her arm but otherwise seemed unharmed. In her hand was something new. Long golden staff that kind of hooked at the end, on it seemed to be writings and buttons. From it came a mild glow.
"Nice stick" I remarked
"Thanks" she said glancing at me before both of us faced the woman in front of us.
"Should we figure out who you actually are?" I asked reaching out for the cats mask "or are you gonna tell us who hired you?"
The woman flinched away and Cass glanced at me. We'd caught a nerve. She had an image to uphold.
"I'll give you to the count of five" I said
"One"
"That arm looks painful" Catwoman said
"Two"
"And I'm sure your ankle is sore too"
"Three" I said "it is sore. Can't wait to figure out who hurt it"
"How old are you kid?"
"Four" I continued "old enough cat."
"Probably sixteen?"
"Five" I grabbed the edge of the mask. Her hand snapped up to bat mine away but Cass caught it with her free hand.
"Last chance Cat" I said
She didn't respond and so I pulled the mask away. Underneath was a mess of black hair and some eye paint but sure as day we're the emerald green eyes of Selina Kyle. Bruce's Selina Kyle.
I blinked hard, cursed, and then looked to Cass. "Batgirl?"
Cass shrugged at me.
"Selina Kyle?" I asked "a burglar?"
She looked away "You don't know anything kid"
"Don't you...aren't you and Bruce Wayne-"
"Who do you work for?" Stargirl cut in front of me pointing the staff at my uncles girlfriend.
Selina seemed to regain her ego and grinned. "Batman is bold." She smiled with the staff in her face "He'd send a bunch of kids to do a mans work."
We were too relaxed and I was so focused on the fact that Selina Kyle was the Catwoman that I never noticed the small ball of explosives at my feet.
This explosion was luckily not as big as the first one and all of us nearby wore protective gear. And there wasn't any shrapnel flying at us. The explosion did blow each of us in different directions. I flipped in the air twice and could hear the air flying by my ears. The dark sky spun a few times before I landed, hard on my shoulder.
I cursed and sat up slowly looking through the road. The cat was gone and so was the red car. Behind me was a big white cargo van on fire and all around was debris and my friends.
And here I was a son of Poseidon, probably as far away from the ocean as I could get. Stuck in the middle of Nebraska.

We sat in StarGirls basement in silence. Cass was working on getting the metal out of my arm while Artemis bandaged Conners leg and Gar held an ice pack to his head. Stargirl was nowhere to be found.
"Selina Kyle" I grumbled
"I know" Cass answered wiping blood off my arm with a cloth. If Annabeth were here she'd give me ambrosia. She always kept some in her belt. I always forgot to replenish my supplies so I'd have to take care of it the mortal way. Cass finished wrapping it and sat back. Artemis was watching us. I assumed since Dick has told her his identity she knew why the Selina Kyle thing bothered me so much. The sympathetic smile she gave confirmed this.
"Have any comms gotten through?" I asked
"Dinah isn't answering" Conner said
"No Oracle either" Cass confirmed "Nightwing?"
"We could try" I said skeptically
"Who's Nightwing?" Stargirl reappeared with a tray of snacks in one hand and the golden staff thing in the other. She had ditched the Stars and Stripes and wore no mask. I guess she figured since most of us didn't have a mask anyways she'd be okay.
"A friend" I answered "What's the staff about Whitmore?"
Courtney/stargirl/ whatever her name was seemed surprised for a second. Bruce had a file on her, and if she didn't want us to know her name then why would she take us to her house with her family name on the mailbox?
I grinned "don't seem so surprised, I'm a detective"
"Your mailbox" Cass corrected
"Ugh you always do that" I grumbled and I wondered if she knew because she saw me stare at it or if it's because she noticed the same thing and had a lucky guess.
"The staff is from a friend." Courtney answered "and now that I have it you guys don't need to stay. I can take care of things."
"Except we have to figure out who hired those people" Artemis said "and with communications down and no van? We're stuck with you for the time being, at least till we can get plane tickets."
"No planes" Cass said for my sake
"Bus tickets would be better" I suggested
"Okay bus tickets" Artemis corrected "Plus if they tried for the staff once they'll try again."
"They didn't want the staff" Cass spoke louder this time
"Batgirl I hate to break it to you. But they blew up our car to get this thing." Courtney said lifting the staff "it's not the first time someone has tried."
"No" Cass shook her head "they wanted us trapped"
"They could've done a better job with that." Gar said "we're out a car not our legs."
"Okay so let's assume we are trapped, and let's assume it's the same people who took batman" Artemis frowned "What good does it do them to have us here? There are plenty of other heroes still in there respective cities."
"Dick and Jason are up in Canada on that lead, Annabeth is in Cali. We're here. That leaves Gotham wide open." I pointed out
"No offense Robin" Courtney said raising a hand slightly "But who would go for Gotham."
"I ask myself the same thing" I shrugged "and that's bold coming from the girl who lives in Nebraska."
"They could've gone for Gotham." Conner offered "Oracle is down right?"
"Yeah but she could be asleep." Gar offered
Cass shook her head "No"
"We've been calling her too much for that" I amended "She would've woken up, I doubt she's getting our calls."
"None of this makes sense" Courtney said
"I agree" I tossed a Batarang into the air and caught it. "We need to be careful though, they could come for the staff again."
"They could" Artemis said "But I doubt it. We should get some sleep. I'll stay up and keep watch."
"No" Cass said "I will."
"She's right Artemis, you're our driver if we end up finding a car. You need more sleep."
"Fine" Artemis said "we sleep and leave in four hours to find a bus or car or something."
No one protested but no one tried to sleep either. We all just sat staring at each other quietly until I broke it.
"Best case this is all a coincidence" I said "There's a chance this is all a coincidence...right?"
Everyone just stared at me skeptically.
I sighed "That's what I thought."
Artemis took a breath "Let's get some rest and see where we're at in a few hours."

____________________________________
Ahaha guys it's been ages I'm so sorry for no update I'm going to try to finish this book! I've had a spirt of motivation so hopefully it stays haha. Thanks for reading comment and let me know what you think!