15. Percy

"Whatever you guys are doing" Courtney stood at the door with her hands on her hips blocking us from leaving "I want in."
With the lack of light and her blonde hair and stubborn way of standing I could almost imagine it was Annabeth. Not quite though.
I glanced at Cass who was frowning and wondered if she felt the same way. In this lighting Courtney looked quite a bit like our friend. Annabeth was a few inches taller and definitely more intimidating, regardless of being terrifying at times I also have to add Annabeth was prettier. Not that Courtney wasn't it's just that Annabeth and the way her eyes would light up at the mention of an architectural land mark or the look she always wore when making a plan was on a new level of pretty. The way her hair would shimmer in the light like it had a thousand different shades or the way she'd play with her dads college ring or her laugh as she would shake her head and say "seaweed brain" or-
"Earth to Robin" Artemis nudged me I was brought out of my thoughts and was grateful for the dark as I felt my face go hot and likely bright red. Good thing Megan wasn't here to read my mind. "What do you think."
I cleared my throat still trying to bring my thoughts completely away from Annabeth who was waiting for us to break her out of...um wherever she was. We needed to leave as soon as possible. "I think we need to be a covert as possible. The less people the better."
"But you might need help" the girl argued her voice became mildly pleading "And who would suspect a teenage girl."
Cass nudged my arm and I knew what she meant. Well she meant one of two things either "I like her and she has a point, we will need help" or "we don't have time to argue"
I frowned "whatever you think Artemis. We might need help" i threw in a shrug. Honestly I didn't mind bringing Courtney along, my only worry was I didn't know her. I didn't know her fighting style and even though she had a point about no one suspecting a teenage girl, we honestly didn't know if she could be inconspicuous. Then again that wasn't Conner or Garfield's strong suit either. She probably couldn't be any worse than that. Cass, Artemis, and I would just have to cover the slack of the other three.
"Alright" Artemis said "let's go then. Courtney do you have everything you need?"
The girl nodded and a smile broke across her face. "Finally something fun. Thank you!"
"Let's hope so" Artemis frowned "we'd better go get a car, it's gonna be a long night."

The only car available turned out to be a five seater blue Toyota Camry. That would've been great except we had six people. After looking at it for a minute Gar, Cass, Conner, and I piled in the back electing to let the new girl take the front alone. Within an hour Gar lulled over onto Conners shoulder asleep much to the older boy's discomfort and within two Cass lied her head onto mine and fell asleep as well.
"Remind me why we couldn't just fly" Conner hissed to me keeping his voice low in attempt to not wake our sleeping comrades.
"We didn't have enough money" I reminded him Artemis glanced back to me knowing that wasn't the reason, but also not knowing the whole reason. Zeus was already in a bad mood and me flying wouldn't help in any way. Though it would've been faster. Much faster.
The drive would take us probably about twenty hours taking us through southern Utah, Vegas, and then on to California. Odds were we'd have to stop to either switch drivers or give Artemis a Power Nap.
"I could fly" Courtney muttered
Conner perked up a bit "you can fly?"
"Yeah" she said then paused "not really me me but my belt its..." she trailed off
"I need to get one of those." Conner marveled
"You can't fly?" Stargirl frowned "aren't you like Superman"
Conner used to get really touchy about not being able to fly. He'd blow up or storm off. But recently he'd been more accepting of it "Yeah like Superman. Hence why I'm called Superboy" he put stress on the boy part and this time did sound a bit salty "I can't fly." He finished
"Oh that blows" Courtney said
Conner shrugged "yeah it does" he confirmed before laying his head on the window and closing his eyes.

This time is was Courtney to break the silence about thirty minutes later. She looked back at our arrangement and probably noticed Cass laying on my shoulder because she piped up.
"So are Robin and batgirl..." Courtney let the question hang in the air at at first I didn't realize what she was asking.
Artemis laughed and shot me a look "No no definitely not."
"Huh" Courtney glanced back at me, her cheeks were a bit red "I always assumed batgirl and Robin were...um a couple?"
"Oh gods" I groaned "No!"
Conner laughed now the movement of his laugh woke Gar who sat up and looked around at everyone, not saying anything before laying his head back onto the seat and closing his eyes.
"Sorry" Conner said amusement still lacing his voice.
"Oh well..." Courtney's face turned even more red
Artemis noticing the girl's discomfort offered "the first batgirl and Robin were. Are?"
She glanced to me and I shrugged. I hadn't heard anything about Dick and Barbara in months. I honestly had no clue if they were together right now or not. I wasn't good at paying attention to that kind of stuff.
"Aren't" Cass mumbled not moving from my shoulder but obviously awake and paying attention to our conversation "Not now."
I shook my head then in case Artemis didn't hear "Not right now."
"Okay so the first Robin and batgirl were a couple" Artemis amended.
"Oh" Courtney said the red on her face slowly dissipated "and you two are the second?"
"I'm the third" I corrected "Batgirl is the second"
"What happened to the others? Did they retire?" Courtney asked
"Not really. Just took on different names." I answered I didn't feel like getting into the fact Jason had actually died then been resurrected and-
"Mine retired" Courtney's said and she sounded a bit sad "my mentor. That's why I got the staff."
"Are you okay with that?" I asked
"Oh the cosmic staff is amazing." She said "but it's pressure." She added with a shrug
"I get that" Conner agreed
I didn't say anything but I definitely knew exactly what they were talking about. Bruce was so much to live up to not just as Batman but as Bruce Wayne. Not to mention how amazing Dick is and living up to him and Jason as Robin. Oh and my dad is a god. But honestly I felt more pressure to live up to Bruce then I ever did with my dad.
I frowned and looked out the window. "How long till we get there."
"Sixteen hours?" Artemis said wearily "if we're lucky"
"Great" Conner moaned