8. Annabeth

National City wasn't too far from LA and when we landed Bio-ship rush hour traffic was underway so no one seemed to notice when we set the camouflaged space ship in the middle of a park.
Our team filed out: Megan, Jaime, Raquel, La'gaan, and I.
"Do you think we have time to go to the beach?" Jaime asked
"I wish" I muttered looking around the park.
Nothing seemed to be out of place, it was quiet with trees swaying with a breeze. Faintly I smelt salt in the wind from the sea. That smell reminded me of Percy.
"Where are we headed?" I asked checking my pockets for my gloves and Yankee's cap.
Each of us was dressed for an undercover mission, in civilian clothes. Jaime and La'gaan both wore hats (What is with guys in hats?) And Megan was keeping a watch to disguise La'gaan if needed.
"Some laundromat on main street" Megan answered
"A... laundromat" Raquel asked "They're hiding everyone at a laundromat?"
"I doubt it" I said "odds are it's a trap"
"It might be" Megan said "So stay on your toes."
"Where did this tip even come from?" Jaime asked
"It was actually Alex Danvers" Megan answered
"Then why doesn't she look?" I asked "Or at least meet us"
"Not too sure" Megan frowned
"It's a set up" I twisted the beads on my necklace. "It has to be"
"We can't be sure till we go" Megan said "Come on we should hurry."

The laundromat was tiny but in good repair, though right now not many people seemed to be using it.
'What exactly are we looking for' I thought
'I don't know something suspicious?' Raquel answered
'Megan?' I asked
'I'm not exactly sure. Weird energy signatures, secret doors, missing heroes' Megan sounded unsure
"Great" I muttered but I stood from where I sat and began to walked around the small room inconspicuously. Megan, Raquel, and I had brought in random clothes we picked up at a Good Will drop box and currently had them running in the washer. Jaime and La'gaan were outside waiting for someone to come or to help us. Other than us there were only two other people inside: A probably seventeen years old girl who sat glued to her phone behind a desk, and a very tall, slender woman sitting in front of a running washer, probably waiting for her load to be finished.
I already realized I had started pacing and the woman waiting for her laundry was staring at me. We made eye contact for a second but I snapped my attention away from her and walked back to where I sat before, grabbing a magazine for extra measure making it seem as if I meant to grab one the whole time. I sat and put the magazine to my face but glanced at the woman again. She was still watching me through round blue eyes. Something about them gave me the creeps. Something about her gave me the creeps. Her dark hair was perfectly curled down her back and her eyes stood out with hair like that. Her skin was clear, not a blackhead in sight. She didn't seem to be wearing a lot of makeup, if any and suddenly I found myself feeling jealous. I wasn't one to care about my appearance but something about this lady made me feel small and insecure.
'Whoa who's that?' Jaime asked
'I don't know' I thought angrily 'Just some lady'
'She's gorgeous' His thoughts were wistful. 'Im gonna come introduce myself'
'No! Jaime!' Right as I though that the boy swaggered through the door not giving me, Megan, or Raquel another look. His eyes were fully trained on the woman ahead of him (who also had to be at least ten years his senior).
"Hi" Jaime stood by the lady and brushed his hair back "I'm Jaime Reyes"
The woman's eyes slowly left me and trained on Jaime and a large, sick grin crept onto her face.
"Oh hello Jaime" She said "I'm Maddi"
I frowned as Jaime said something to embarrass himself.
'What is he doing?' Megan demanded
'I have no clue!' I said
I looked over to Raquel and shrugged. She was just shaking her head.
'Whats happening down there?' La'gaan asked
'Annabeth where's Jaime?'
I looked back to where out friend had just been and groaned my eyes shot to the back of the store to the only other exit. As I watched Jaime was led outside by the woman, Maddi. The last thing I saw was a bronze leg before the door closed.

I sprinted after them without saying a word, fumbling for my bronze dagger as I ran. The girl at the desk barely glanced up as I bolted past then went back to her phone.
The back door opened easily and took me into a courtyard type of thing. With buildings all around me and one alleyway out. In the middle of the cement, unconscious was Jaime. I knelt beside him and checked for injuries but couldn't see anything and stood looking around.
"Come out!" I shouted "I know you're still here"
Everything was silent for a second. Too silent. I shifted my weight and pivoted as a shuffle came from my left the only thing that kept me alive was my reflexes as a screech came from my other side.
I dove for the ground as Maddi, who wasn't quite Maddi anymore flew over my head.
She was still tall but her dark hair looked more oily and her legs had transformed. One of Bronze, one the leg of a donkey. Empousa.
"Half-bloods always ruin my fun" She pouted her red eyes flickering at me.
"And monsters always ruin mine" I said back
"I just wanted a little bite" Maddi looked at me as if waiting to see if I would let her. She didn't want a fight I realized. That was new monsters always wanted a fight.
"Yeah not a chance" I said "And if you try it I'll kill you on the spot"
The girl hissed as I stepped forward, dagger reaching out.
"Fine" She snapped "Have it your way!"
With that she launched herself at me.
I dove to the right, swinging my dagger at her arm. The metal didn't even graze her as she slid past.
I attacked before she could catch her balance nearly lobbing off her arm. Unfortunately her sharp talons deflected my knife with every slash I gave.
"Whoa Annabeth calm down!" Megan shouted
I dodged a strike from the monster and wondered what the others saw but I guess that answered my question on if Martians could see through the mist. If Megan couldn't then I also wondered if La'gaan could.
"Help Jaime" I snapped crouching low to the ground as the girl attempted to tackle me.
As she flew over my head I twisted and wrenched my dagger up as sharply as I could.
A cloud of green dust showered down on top of me and I breathed a sigh of relief.
"Is he okay?" I asked standing and dusting myself off
Megan looked at me and her human disquise flickered for one second "What was that? You just killed her!"
"Technically no?" I said "it's hard to explain can we please not get into it."
"But what was-"
"Megan it's better if you don't ask" I answered.
I muttered a curse under my breath. How could I be so stupid? I was turning into Percy!
Kneeing down next to Jaime I checked his pulse and then relaxed.
"He should be fine. He just needs to wake up"
La'gaan and Raquel both bolted through the door ready to attack anyone. When they saw just me and Megan they relaxed.
"What happened?" La'gaan demanded
"Don't worry about it" I said
"Why does it smell like rotten eggs?" Raquel asked
"I couldn't tell you" I said quickly even though the monster dust that still covered the ground and me was the culprit off the smell.
"Now what?" Megan asked glancing around.
"Back to Happy Harbor?" I asked "I don't really think our lead has gotten us anywhere"
"Uh you might want to rethink that" Raquel gulped.
"What do you-" I turned to face her and saw what she meant.
Pressed to hers and La'gaan's heads were small hand guns. Holding them were two masked men and just behind the were five more with rifles trained on Megan and Me.
"Well" I grumbled "This is exactly how I wanted my day to turn out."

The gunman didn't bother unarming us, they didn't seem worried about that.
'Megan' I thought 'Can you reach them?'
'Im trying but something is blocking it' I glance at Megan to see her face strained as the masked figures led us towards an all black SUV. It looked like it was an official government vehicle, minus any markings. All the windows were tinted and there was no way you could see through them. I wondered if that was legal but I figured whoever these people were they weren't worried about getting pulled over.
'Can anyone send a signal to Happy Harbor. I can't reach Bio-ship' Megan said
'I can't get Happy Harbor but if I can reach my watch I can contact Oracle' I frowned and slowly moved my hands towards each other.
"Ms. Chase I'd suggest keeping your hands at your side" One of the masked men said in a robotic voice.
"Oh what?" I asked "Alright."
"You'll each get into the car one by one and if anyone attempts anything your companions will be shot dead." The same man continued
"Where are we going?" I asked
"You'll be informed soon enough" The man droned "Now get in the car"
Megan was led in first followed by Raquel, me, Jaime, and finally La'gaan. The interior of the car was just as nice as the outside with white leather seats and a window separating the driver from the rest of the car. Five of the masked people were sent in after us and we were forced to sit so we had one person in between each of my teammates.
"Please remove any weapons you have on your person and place them in this bin" A woman said holding out a bag. She wasn't wearing a mask and didn't have any visible weapons on her. She was vaugely familiar with dark brown hair, brown eyes that were covered with a pair of glasses. She wore a pantsuit and tie.
No one moved to turn in any weapons. Honestly Raquel and I were the only two with weapons to turn in. Unless you counted the beetle but that wasn't ever coming off.
"Ms. Chase would you like to go first?" The woman asked
With a jerk of a gun I reluctantly unclipped my belt and placed it in the bag.
"The gloves" The woman ordered "And anything else in your pockets"
I sighed and reached to my back pocket producing my gloves and Yankee's cap. I placed the gloves in the bag.
"That's all" I said praying no one would notice the bronze dagger up my sleeve, and if they did they'd just think its giant toothpick or something. It wouldn't do any damage to them anyway.
"The watch?" The woman asked
"Is a watch." I said "My brother gave it to me for my birthday last year. Want to see?"
The woman looked at my wrist then shook her head and held out her hands for it "I'm not taking any risks."
Sighing I removed the watch from my wrist, tapping the middle face twice and hopefully sending a message to Barbara.
After giving the woman the watch I sat back in my seat twisting my hat as Raquel removed her belt and placed it in the bag.
"The rest of you are kindly asked to remain co-operative." The woman said before sitting back in her seat across from La'gaan.
'I got a tracker out' I thought 'Help will be here soon...I hope'
'If not we'll come up with a plan' La'gaan said 'Maybe they'll lead us to Batman and the others'
'If they can hold the others then what makes you think they can't hold us?' Jaime asked 'Even Beetle agrees with me!'
'They won't hold us because I'm thinking of a plan' I said 'Just be ready for anything alright. I have a feeling things are going to get crazy.'
Oh how right I was.

_______________________________________
Sorry it took so long to update. My goal is to start updating at least once a month, usually more. Let me know what you think of this chapter and send me any suggestions!