21. Percy

Bruce's explanation only left me with more questions, first and foremost how he'd made it from Gotham all the way across the country in under a day. Then again he was a multimillionaire, I'm sure he flew the bat-plane or charted a private jet. My next question was voiced by Cass as the three of us sat in the corner of Bioship, Megan flying us once again across the country back to Gotham.
"Why did you leave her?" Cass was all glares
Bruce winced "Cass, she knew what would happen. She knew I would have a better shot to find her if they moved and-"
"But we are going to." I said, no doubt in my voice. As much as Bruce argued with my friend and sometimes didn't trust her, I knew he would not leave her behind like that and even if he thought she was lost cause Cass and I wouldn't. "Find her, we're going to find her."
Bruce nodded "I know where she is. Or at least was, assuming she hasn't been moved."
"But if she has?" Cass asked
"Then we'll find out where she is."
I wanted to Iris message her right now, make sure she was okay or ask if they'd transported her but without a drachma or water, I wouldn't even get two seconds with her.
"And do you know why they took you in the first place?" I asked "Any goals or motives or anything?"
Bruce's brow drew together "Percy, I'm not sure who was involved but I'm sure I saw kids, your age. Greek armor and creatures I couldn't even name."
Now it was my turn to have my brow furrow. I crossed my arms "Monsters?"
"Annabeth knew one of the boys, Nakamura."
I groaned and cursed "Luke. He has to be playing a part."
"Who?" Cass grabbed my arm
I frowned "uh he's a bad guy." And currently sharing a body with the Titan Lord of time Kronos who just so happened wanted to use me to destroy my dad and other relations. Either that or kill me after how often I'd refused to help him. But that explanation would take longer than I wanted it to, especially because Zeus was picky about mortals knowing his business and even in the midst of a war he found time to make the sky's stormy for my flight. "He wants me dead." Was what I settled on
Cass didn't seem impressed, making her way toward Megan who was asking where to land. She had just shrugged as if wanted me dead was something everyone did. I supposed everyone on the ship had done it often enough, except maybe Courtney. I don't think she'd had enough time around me to decide.
"So you picked up Star Spangled kid?"
"She prefers Star Girl." I answered "She's handy though, good in a fight if not a little too reactive."
Bruce gave me a look "she sounds like you."
"I've gotten better" I defended
Bruce's hand fell to my shoulder "You have. Any word from Nightwing?"
I shook my head "I thought we had a connection but it went dead before he could even get a word out."
"Oracle?"
I shook my head again, eyes drifting to Cass who would be taking the hit of Babs and Annabeth badly. I could imagine how she felt. I knew first hand how it felt to lose a mentor and Annabeth in the same way. I was erratic trying to get Annabeth out ignoring any logical thought. As many times as she'd saved me I needed to repay it. Being completely honest, I needed her. Any thought of the upcoming war, hero life, or even dreaming I was a regular mortal with no hero alter ego without Annabeth none of it seemed to work. I knew without her I could not make it through the war, I could not beat Luke, and even if somehow I did, the thought of the future with no Annabeth was just as bleak. So, my only choice was to get her home safely or die trying.
"Percy." Bruce's voice was soft, whether due to exhaustion or sympathy I didn't know "we'll figure out what's going on."
"We're going to get her out." I shook my head "And then we'll figure out what's going on."

Bioship wasn't happy about the weather, the closer we got to Gotham (and the Empire State Building) the thicker the clouds and lightning became.
"Sorry." I muttered to the sky, wondering if I really could be the cause of all this with a war going on.
Still with our approach to Gotham one good thing came of it.
"Robin please tell...we got...connection." A spurt of static ripped through my earpiece again but I would know the voice on the other end anywhere.
"Oracle!" I waved my hand to Cass and mimed putting an earpiece in. She didn't need to be invited twice. "Oracle I hear you. Little lost in the storm but I can-"
"Oracle!" Cass was practically bouncing up and down "Are you okay? Safe?"
I could practically see Barbara at her desk coffee in hand and sitting back, probably resting for the first time in days.
"I'm safe Batgirl." She answered "God I'm glad to hear you two."
"What happened to you?" I asked "We have Batman with us but he couldn't get a hold of you either."
"Long story...." Static interrupted us before I heard a muffled "Nightwing can explain later."
"Nightwing is back?" I asked "he's okay?"
"And Red." She answered "both of them are out...city..."
"Oracle." Bruce cut in, finally getting an earpiece of his own though I don't know how he got it onto our normal frequency "The assassins are in town. On the northern docks. AB5."
"That's where we're heading." I added "we have my team and Annabeth's in tow."
"Annabeth?" Barbara perked up "is she...watch..."
"She's with the assassins." Bruce answered, probably the only one of us not too scared of Barbara to tell her we lost Annabeth. I'd been through that once before. "We are on our way to find her."
"You three need to know." Barbara's voice was the clearest it had been all night "There was an attack and-"
"Batfam." Jaime glanced back from his seat "You three need to see this."
Cass was the first to make it to the window. Bruce beat me to it as well. As I squeezed in between them I understood Barbara's warning and Jaime's distress. Everyon on Bioship was eerily quiet as Gotham came to view. The skyline was lit brighter than Christmas time when the city put lights up. Bright with flame and smoke. I counted four blazing fires but judging from the smoke there had to be more. The largest one was what only felt like a few get ahead of us the Wayne Enterprises sign bright and clear through the smoke of the building below.
"They hit all Wayne branded buildings." Oracle said, Artemis stood at the controls, obviously successful in her attempt to make Barbara heard by all as the former Batgirl's voice blaster over the speakers to all of us. "thirteen buildings so far. Bombed. Four corporate offices, a woman's shelter, two food storehouses, and six apartment buildings."
"I can help" La'gaan said immediately
"We can all help." Conner added not to be outdone by the Atlantian.
"That's the plan." Oracle agreed "I was able to contact the Browns. Their building is the only one still unscathed. Crystal and Steph are evacuating there as we speak. Artemis can you help there?"
"Send me an address."
"Conner. Take the downtown area with Beetle. Red Hood is down there but he might be a little outmatched in terms of strength. The police believe the Industry's building is about to collapse."
Oracle took charge. Assigning each of the team an area, Megan flying to drop them as close as possible until only Cass, Bruce, and I remained.
"I know you want to find Annabeth." She said softly "But we can't have all of you on that."
"I'll go." I said at the same time Cass did.
"Robin." Bruce said "Batgirl knows the Assasins better than us. She has a better chance against them."
I shook my head, hands curling around Riptide in my pocket. "I know."
"Where am I taking you three?" Megan asked quizzically
"Take Batgirl to the docks." I sighed "They'd smell me coming from a mile away."
"What?" Cass asked
Tim would've appreciated my joke and Annabeth would've probably hit me for it "Stay safe Cass. Get her out."
Cass nodded "that's the plan."