Prologue

"I am the leader of the American Mafia," Lucifer confessed. 

Rylee felt the world crashing down her on her. She stumbled back a few steps and covered her mouth with trembling hands. Her lips parted in shock.

"You are-You are the what?" She whispered, not wanting to believe the words that came out of his mouth. 

"The mafia king." 

Rylee's legs felt like they would give up on her any moment. She took a step forward but lost her balance. Before she fell, Lucifer grabbed her waist and pulled her closer to his chest. 

Rylee instantly pulled her hands away from his touch as if it burnt her but he held her tighter.

"Let me go," she gritted, struggling in his arms.

Lucifer reluctantly let go of her. Rylee instantly took a few steps away from him.

"So our whole relationship was based on a lie?" She asked coldly. 

Lucifer gazed down at the floor. Rylee chuckled humorlessly. 

"Ryl, but our love for each other was true," Lucifer tried defending, scared of what would happen next.

She ignored that statement. "You told me your father owned a business and that you would be the heir to it."

Lucifer nodded. "That wasn't a lie."

"But you kept me in the dark for four years, Lucifer! Four. Fucking. Years! You are a-a mafia king," She yelled, tears threatening to fall out. 

"I know, Ryl. I know. I'm sorry, but I didn't want you to get hurt," Lucifer tried explaining.

"What about the hurt you caused me now, Lucifer?" she asked sharply.

Lucifer didn't reply. 

She took a deep breath and nodded. 

"I'm sorry Luc, but I cannot date a mafia leader," Rylee said, look straight into his eyes with a blank look. 

His eyes widened. His face looked pained.

"My love, we dated each other for four years! You can't throw all that away because I'm in the mafia!"

"In the mafia? No, no, Lucifer, you are the leader of the mafia."

"Ryl, you can't leave, please," Lucifer whispered, his voice cracking.

His eyes almost brimmed with tears as he watched the girl he loved more than himself talking about leaving him.

She chuckled dryly. "Watch me." 

Lucifer watched as she packed her belongings in her suitcase. Never once did he try to stop her- he was too shocked to do that. He snapped out his trance when she walked past him. 

"Ryl, stop!" 

Rylee halted in her tracks and turned around. 

"What?" She asked, without any trace of emotions in her voice. 

Lucifer suddenly smirked, which confused Rylee. 

He took few predatory steps towards her, casually placing his hands in his pockets.

"You can run, you can hide, but in the end, I will always find you," He whispered sensually in her ears. 

Rylee gulped and held onto her suitcase tighter. 

Lucifer stepped back and stood still, watching her every move like a hawk. Rylee took a deep breath and dashed out of the room, not before glancing at Lucifer. 

'Mine' he mouthed to her and smirked dangerously. 

She sped out of his house and walked away, away from his life forever..or so she thought.