Chapter 28

Before starting, happy independence day to my Indian readers!!💖

Lucifer's POV-

"Lucifer, I love you, truly. But you're in the mafia. If you're ready to leave the mafia, I'll be yours. Forever."

I shook my head. "I can't do that, Ryl. My father passed down the title of the Don to me and I need to uphold it."

She sighed. "Lucifer, I am ready to marry you if you give up the mafia, please. I can't stay with a criminal."

"I can't," I repeated. 

I brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Ryl, I love you with all my heart, but the mafia is equally important to me. So, whether you want it or not, you will marry me and live with me."

Her lips quivered, indicating she was about to cry. 

"Lucifer, you're not the same man I fell in love with. The man I fell in love with 6 years back would never hurt me. He would never force me. He would never control me." 

That shit hurt.

"I loved Lucifer, a sweet guy I dated in college who would rather die than hurt me. Not a mafia king who kills people and sells drugs," she whispered softly. 

I traced her cheek slowly. "Ryl, I don't have a choice."

"Lucifer, I love you. I am sure I do. But if you aren't ready to leave the mafia, let me go. Please," She requested, a tear rolling down her eye, "I can't spend the rest of my life in bloodshed with criminals. I can't live with the fear of you getting killed. I can't. I just can't."

Tears stained her cheeks. 

I gently wiped them and cupped her face. "Rylee, I will protect you with my life. I can't guarantee that I won't die because there's always a possibility." 

Hearing this, hear sobs became louder.

"This is why I want to leave, Lucifer," She sniffled, "That way, it'll be easier." 

I caressed her hair. 

"I can't let you leave, Ryl. I can't loose you too." 

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Can't loose me too? What do you mean by that?"

I stiffened. It was always a sensitive topic for me. Sensing this, Rylee instantly spoke up. 

"If you don't want to speak about this, it's fine." 

"No, you have the right to know about it," I said shaking my head. I sighed, reliving those horrible moments.

"I was 10 at the time. I had gone shopping with my mother. Many boys think shopping is lame, but for me, I loved it. Especially because my mom was with me. We went to a mall. Dad was in a meeting. Suddenly, a group of men with masks appeared an-and they shot my mom. Right in front of me. B-but before th-that, they raped her. She screamed and begged them to stop but they didn't. They shot her r-right between her eyes. 

This scarred me for life. I was right there yet I couldn't do anything. My dad was broken after this incident and locked himself away. But soon moved on, or so he wanted me to think. I was his only child and he didn't want to loose me too. He added extra security and spent time with me. He wanted me to think that he mom's death didn't affect him but I knew better. I saw him wailing over her pictures late at night. But he stayed strong for me. 

He always used to say that once I fall in love, I should protect her with my life. 6 years back, dad died due to a heart attack passing the title of the Don to me. I was only 18. I decided to make my mom's killer pay for their crimes but I never had the chance. They were the German mafia, our rival. Ryl, I love you and I can't afford to loose you. I can't let you go. I just can't."

A tear streamed down my face. Rylee leaned towards me and placed her head on my shoulder. 

"Lucifer, I am so sorry. I never knew about this. If I-" 

"It's not your fault," I cut her off and caressed her soft cheek with my thumb.

"Lucifer, listen. Let me go. That way you won't regret anything if I get killed by some rival gang," She said, sniffing. 

I grimaced at that thought and pulled her closer to me. She would get killed? Over my dead body.

"I won't let you go Ryl. Not now, not ever Just drop that fucking thought that you can ever escape me. Things would get easier for you."

Rylee sniffled. "But Lucifer," She whined, sobs wracking a body.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around her. She leaned into my touch. We stayed like this for half an hour in comfortable silence.

"Just tell Andrew to let Alexia go. She is the only family I have left after my parents went missing. I can't loose her," She finally spoke up. 

I loved how she cared about others more.

"I am your family too," I said, kissing her knuckles. 

"No, you aren't."

"Oh right, I'll become your family tomorrow once we get married," I said grinning. 

I saw how her eyes widened.

"Luc, aren't you rushing things?"

"No, I don't think so. We know each other for many years. I love you, you love me. Why not get married?" I said with a shrug.

"Because I don't want to marry you," She gritted out.

"Why not? We both love each other." 

I was confused as to why she didn't wanna marry me. We loved each yet she had a problem.

"Because I don't want to get involved in the mafia. Especially with the King," She said, mocking the last part.

"Love, you are already involved with the King since you're his queen," I sneered and kissed her cheek. 

"Anyways, let's sleep," I announced and switched of the lamp light beside me. 

I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to me. My breath fanned over her neck and I saw how she visibly shivered. I chuckled and pulled her closer. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. I heard her sigh.

"You don't know how much I love you , Luc. My love never changed for you since college. But never in my dreams would I have thought that you're the mafia leader. I can't believe you're the same person I fell in love with 5 years back. I love you babe," Rylee whispered, thinking I slept. 

I felt her lean towards me but the cuffs pulled her back. She groaned in annoyance. 

"Fucking handcuffs," She muttered, which gave me the urge to chuckle.

After a few minutes, I heard her soft snore indicating she fell asleep. 

I softly kissed her forehead and walked out of the room. 

She loved me. Her love for me hadn't changed. 

Hearing that, I smiled widely.

Okay. Time to deal with Chris.