Twist of Fate

Maki heard a sharp knock on the door of her lab.

Sighing, she put down the knife that she had been polishing (which she had only been doing to occupy her mind), and answered the door.

It was Ryoma Hoshi.

He was sucking on a candy cigarette and was trying to appear nonchalant.

He didn't fool her. She could see the dull hope in his eyes.

He wanted answers.

He wanted his motive video.

Somehow, he had found out that she had it in her possession.

Maki sighed again.

Ryoma had her motive video underneath his right arm.

She needed it.

"You up for a trade?" He asked roughly, not bothering to state the obvious.

"Hoshi-san, it's the middle of the night." She said slowly.

"And? Everyone else has gone to sleep. No one else is around. Gonta finally stopped chasing them. They're all exhausted." He informed her.

Maki shut her eyes.

She knew that if she gave Ryoma his motive video, then his hope would be snuffed out and he would become suicidal.

Emotionally, The Ultimate Tennis Pro was on a knifes edge.

She didn't know why she was hesitating. She should just swap videos with him and let him leave. It wouldn't be her fault if he killed himself.

"Look...I don't want to show the others your motive video. I respect you Harukawa-san, even if your talent- your real talent is a dangerous one. So, that's why I'm giving you a choice." Ryoma said suddenly.

Maki opened her eyes and scowled at him.

She found his fake respect annoying.

Ryoma didn't care about her. He just wanted his motive video.

Ryoma gave her a desperate, pleading look.

Maki huffed.

She made a decision.

"Look, it's too late to have this discussion now. Come to me tomorrow morning- before breakfast- and I'll swap videos with you. I mean it." She stated stiffly.

Ryoma frowned.

"Harukawa-san..." He trailed off unsurely.

He didn't know if he could trust her. Rightly so.

Ryoma was a smart person.

"Hoshi-san, everyone else is asleep, right?" Maki said.

"Yes." Ryoma said.

"So, even if you wanted to, you couldn't show my video to them. Not without waking them up and making a big fuss. Ergo, there's no point in discussing this now. Get some sleep and we can swap videos tomorrow, okay?" She argued.

Ryoma continued frowning at her for a few moments, his brow furrowed in deep thought, before he relaxed and nodded.

"Fine. I respect your decision. I can wait a few more hours." He agreed.

"Goodnight Harukawa-san."

He turned and left.

Maki quietly shut her door and took a deep breath.