Don't give me too much credit

Kaito was in turmoil.

Part of him still couldn't believe that it was Angie that had murdered Shuichi, and not Kirumi.

Even when Kokichi had outlined Shuichi's terrible fate, he still hadn't been able to accept it.

"Woah! You guys got it right! That means that you get to live...except for Yonaga. She has to suffer a painful execution!" Monokuma taunted them.

Kaito stepped away from his podium, his vision swaying.

He shut his eyes and let himself cry.

It was finally over.

His sidekick had been avenged.

There was only one thing left...

Angie's execution. Her "punishment" for murdering Shuichi.

In the trial, he'd gotten a little carried away with his desire for vengeance, almost becoming bloodthirsty. Now, he could see how wrong it was. Shuichi wouldn't have wanted him to give into despair.

Kaito had to stay strong. For his classmates.

He wanted answers. Which meant that he needed to question Angie.

She had promised to explain her motives for murdering Shuichi.

So, he opened his eyes and glared at the Ultimate Artist.

"Why did you murder my sidekick?" He roared at her, releasing some of his pent-up anger.

Angie took a deep breath.

"It was an accident." She confessed, smiling softly at him.

"Huh?" Kaito muttered.

She must be lying! But...in a way, it makes sense. Terrible sense. In the trial, she didn't really argue for her innocence. As for her manipulations.... she was trying to nudge us in the right direction. She wanted us to catch her. He realised.

"Last night, when I saw Kirumi leave Himiko's lab...she was covered in blood. I almost called out to her, but then I realised Shuichi wasn't with her. I was worried about him. So, I hurried into Himiko's lab to find him...there was blood everywhere. And Shuichi...he was lying in a large pool of it. I thought he was dead. I ran over to him, but...I slipped in the blood and fell on top of him. The sword went further in. He...he started bleeding even more. Then he went very still. I knew then that I had killed him, not Kirumi." Angie explained slowly.

"She's telling the truth Momota-chan." Kokichi stated. His expression was blank. He was carefully controlling his emotions.

If there was one thing that Kaito had learned in the second class trial, it was that there was a lot more to Kokichi than met the eye. He was far more astute and observant than he let on, and he had a lot of walls up.

More importantly, he was utterly opposed to Monokuma and the killing game. He didn't enjoy it, as he so falsely proclaimed, he hated it.

Perhaps we can help each other? He thought, wiping his eyes with the left sleeve of his jacket.

He smiled sadly at Kokichi, accepting his words.

Kokichi nodded gently at him and then turned to Angie.

"You wanted us to catch you." He accused her.

"Yup! I wanted you guys to work together and prove my guilt. And you did. Congrats!" Angie said brightly.

"B-but..." Kaito trailed off. He couldn't understand her cheerfulness. She was about to die. Quite painfully.

"We won't let your death go to waste." Kokichi promised. It was almost a vow. "We'll watch all of our motive videos, and we'll keep an eye on Tojo-chan."